It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:34 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Learning to use a Yanagiba
PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:28 am 

I tend to whip out the old Nokia 3310 to bang in nails too. And when I get down to that pipe wrench, Himself, you'd be the first to know. I'd gladly at least document the experience and share it with other enthusiasts

When I said veg prep with the yanagiba (which to some knife owners here seems to be an unfounded reality),I meant katsuramuki of daikon,learning to do the same with carrots,halving of cherry tomatoes, cucumber garnishes and when it comes down to that onion, it was just trying to find out how the blade moves through the vegetable. You might laugh but when I first started using it a few months ago, how was I supposed to know how it behaves? Some knives behave differently from others and this was all part of the learning curve. And I'm sure many of you have been down that track too.

But somehow or another,some people were thinking of a rookie trying to 'chop' a dozen onions Aaron Gibson style.

Now where's that pipe wrench..

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:36 am 

:mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:06 pm 

But why try to dice an onion with a knife that wasn't designed to dice onions?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:14 pm 

What is the logical explanation behind not trying to dice onions? Did someone tell you that you can't? It's not exactly a chicken bone :|

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:30 pm 

Sherski,

We appreciate you taking the ribbings with good humor. We are a friendly community here.

As you likely know, many J knives are purpose built. One knife for eel, another for horse mackeral. The yanagiba is designed for slicing fish and does a decent job with other proteins. But it is not designed as an onion knife. But whatever floats your boat man. I mean people create sculpture with a chainsaw. One contributor to the knife world likes to sharpen to ridiculously acute angles and then baton the knife through trees, all in the name of 'academics'. I'm just trying to get dinner on the table.

Cheers,

Rick

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:35 pm 

Also, cheers to you for mastering katsuramuki. From my limited perspective that is at or near the apex of knife work. Why don't you treat yourself to a good usuba?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:25 am 

I think I've just been misunderstood :( I don't use my yanagiba as an onion knife lol. I only tried it ONCE to know for myself whether or not it was possible. Not because I wanted to go against the grain of cutting society. You know how on some websites the kiritsuke is touted as a 'general purpose' knife? And that some kiritsukes are profiled quite closely like yanagiba? That is all I was trying to figure out for myself- to see if a conventional yanagiba,tip difference aside, had a similar ability. THATS IT.
but I think that some enthusiasts got a little riled up with their responses.
The way I see it,if I have paid$600 for a knife with my family name to be engraved on it,why can't I get a feel for how it works and be able to use it for my own use? I probably didn't mention that I don't bring it to work as this is strictly a blade I want to hand down to my children.

Why don't I get an usuba? It's quite easy to answer that-anyone who's been a chef (not necessarily a knife nut) would know that you get knives for work that are mainly suited to the station you are placed in, or the type of food your restaurant serves. I USED to badly want a kamagata usuba but then I realized apart from being very expensive as a veg peeler and ken cutter,its not the kind of knife you'd want to be using for prepping in a 300 cover per night venue where I work.
Swap scenarios for a bit,I used to be in a place called Restaurant Andre in Singapore a fantastic place- but even then,the thought of using an usuba in a French kitchen was somewhat 'out of place' and you'd get looked at funny.
Stealing at work is the other big concern for me.

Page 2 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2