It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:36 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Konosuke Honyaki Grind Change
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:35 pm 

I noticed a couple no handle Konosuke Honyaki in the New Arrivals. But these Honyakis have a wide bevel unlike the video knife. Are these actual wide bevels or are they polished to have a faux wide bevel?

Did the grinder/sharpener change for these knives?

Mowgs

Post subject: Re: Konosuke Honyaki Grind Change
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:55 pm 

I am wondering this too. I can only assume it is similar to the difference between the white #1 and blue #2 Fujiyamas (in other words, relatively similar grinds, but polished differently). Then again, it is possible that the maker switched from a more convex to a slightly more concave grind, which would exaggerate the bevel a little bit and also allow for such a remarkably thin shoulder. My new Fujiyama appears to have a slightly concave grind, and I have read that this is not in fact uncommon with the Blue #2 Fujiyamas, at least according to Tim's post on the matter. I noticed the same with a Blue #1 Fujiyama that I handled for a bit. Perhaps a bit of a sacrifice of edge strength for that added sharpness one gets from such a thin shoulder...frankly, with knives this thin and with such an aggressive bevel transition, I can't imagine it makes any real difference in sticking with taller foods...but perhaps I'm wrong about all of this. My eyes for grind are not trained!

Post subject: Re: Konosuke Honyaki Grind Change
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 4:15 pm 
Forum Moderator

The fujiyama's have had the slight concave forever I think; it just wasn't really noticed because it is so shallow. They use big wheels to grind the bevels,and then clean them up, so the concave is very very slight; it's not really a full hollow grind or anything like that. I found it when I went to thin Aaron Gibson's Fujiyama's; the flat platen didn't get all of the scratches out and I could then see the very slight hollow at the top towards the shinogi line and also at the spine, too when I put a straight edge to it.

It may be that they change styles or grinders? Some of the no handle knives have the tall blade road and shinogi, others have it like the video knife. Aaron Gibson's White Honyaki 270 was like the video knife; no shinogi line. My Blue #2 Honyaki has the visible shinogi line and is thicker. Both were stupidly thin behind the edge. The out of stock blue 270mm honyaki doesn't show the shinogi line and looks like the video knife. They may make them both ways??

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ]