It is currently Sat Jul 26, 2014 1:09 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Konosuke honesuki
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 3:12 am 

You may remember a while back when Mark had a free knife giveaway for some Shun Blue Honesukis, and I thought it would be great to win one of these knives to give to my mom. Though I did not win, I still thought it would be a great idea to outfit my Wusthof loving folks with a japanese knife. My mom and stepdad work for the Department of State and live abroad and can readily find chicken available for fresh meat, so a honesuki looked to be the perfect knife to get them started. When the Konosuke white #2 no handle came into the new arrivals, I had to bite.

I made a matching handle and saya of East Indian Rosewood and Redwood Burl, and was lucky enough to have my mom visit the states for in time for Mothers Day.

My mom is quite happy with her new knife, having given it a little test run on some dinner prep. I think getting family in to good knives from CKTG and then watching them use their knives and seeing the look the get in their eyes, that sensation from flawless cutting, well I guess that kinda joyful craziness just runs in the family.

Post subject: Re: Konosuke honesuki
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 8:39 am 
Forum Moderator

GINGER <> I LOVE that ferrule! Redwood you say?

Post subject: Re: Konosuke honesuki
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 3:35 am 

Yes redwood, Sequioa to my understanding. The pin is sourced from heirloom stock my father received from his grandfather, and the ferrule from my local hobby wood shop Albuquerque Exotic Woods. Most redwood is procured from legitimate sources such as deadfall or windfall, and from stumps where the straight grain wood was desired and the burly stump was not harvested. There are also some unsavory sources of redwood from burl poachers. To the best of my knowledge the redwood I used is from one of the former sources.

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ]