It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:37 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 5 [ 44 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Konosuke HD2 vs. Masakage Shimo
PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 7:59 pm 

So, my wife surprised me on father's day with a gift from our baby boy (a new knife, surprise, surprise). After some debate and discussion, basically decided the next knife I grab should be a laser, or close to laser-like. Based on reviews and recommendations I've narrowed down the selection between the Konosuke HD2 240 and the Masakage Shimo 240. I think it would be nice to add a hand forged blade to the collection, though per an earlier discussion w/Steve, the width of the neck on Kono may suit me a bit better. Given, one is semi-stainless and one is White #2, but that really doesn't matter much to me. I'm also thinking about the Shimo in 210 for a couple of reasons. First, the 210 actually has a decent forward point of balance and a nice long flat spot along the edge. My usual gripe with 210s is the small flat and handle leaning balance. Second, I think a knife that thin and light could be a hell of a lot of fun in 210.
Thoughts on the above?

Post subject: Re: Konosuke HD2 vs. Masakage Shimo
PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:38 pm 

Well, went with the Shimo in 210. Have a TKC in 210, but wasn't in love with the small flat, handle-centric balance and shorter blade height at the heal. Lot to like about the TKC so will probably use it as a larger petty/utility. Since I had a semi-stainless blade in the TKC, a 240MM PM blade in the Haruyuki, thought a carbon, hand crafted laser in 210 was the right choice.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:53 pm 

So this will end my knife binge for quite a while. More than enough new steel to have fun with. Next up: Edge Pro. I can practically sense the fear emanating from my shuns and globals. Gonna have some really mangled looked Williams Sonoma sold cutlery in block

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 4:13 am 

If you sharpen with an Edge Pro, you won't have to do many knives before you're improving them. It's pretty fast to learn and exceptionally effective.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:17 pm 

Thanks Lepus, that's definitely what I'm hoping for!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:27 pm 
Forum Moderator

Yeah Chip, watch some EP videos, look around on the EP forum and you'll be up and running in no time. A little patience, attention to detail, and practice will give you screaming sharp knives in short order on the EP.

The EP Essentials set with the Shapton Glass stones + a flattening plate (if you don't have one) + an Angle Cube is an awesome setup.

Let me know how you like the Shimo - that's a cool knife :-).

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:38 pm 

Thanks Steve! Lepus caught me just in time before I started adding super high grit stones (which aint all that cheap) that I likely didn't need. The EP Essential looks like the best deal out there for sure. I'm excited for the Shimo. Beautiful knife and looks to be a real high performer as well.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 5:43 pm 

Man, I think no matter which choice I make inre knives I have buyers remorse and want the knife I didn't select. However, this time, I'm not going to buy the Konosuke the next day. Will have to wait till November birthday or Christmas. Plenty to learn with stones to keep me occupied for a while.
Either way, Steve, I'll definitely let you know what I think of the ergonomics on the Shimo and if I get it rehandled or not and will try to post some, what will likely be very amusing videos of me sharpening a few globals and shuns for the first time.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 5:52 pm 
Forum Moderator

CHIP <> You're not going to hurt anything. With all due respect, the EP is a jig... it's basically foolproof.. that's the point of a jig.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 5:59 pm 

Perfect. That's what I'm looking for to start. I have no doubt I will want to move to hand sharpening, but think this might be the easiest way to begin to understand stones, steels, process etc. Also, I don't truly believe I am going to mangle any blades. More poking fun at my current ineptitude as it relates to sharpening and recognizing it takes quite a while to be considered adept (at least with traditional methods).

Page 1 of 5 [ 44 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next