It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:51 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 3 of 5 [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Konosuke HD2 vs. Masakage Shimo
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:20 pm 

That's what I don't like about the shimo. They create such a beautiful finish on the cladding and make it with a reactive metal, doesn't make sense to me.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:21 pm 

So, I have to say, the Haruyuki is still the reigning champion with onions. It's actually thinner behind the edge and at the tip than the Masakage and, because of the flat grind, just flies through onions.
The edge profile on the Masakage is just awesome though. It's got a really long flat which makes chopping a breeze. Chopped up a few softer scallions with it and didn't have a single accordion cut. The Masakage is also super light. The Haruyuki felt super heavy (even though it isn't) in the hand after using the Masakage. The dexterity of the Masakage isn't quite as good as the Kikuichi TKC, but in terms of a non-stick grind, the Shimo is the best knife. Nothing stuck to the blade, not apples, not orange slices, not potatoes, nothing.
So far, the Masakage seems to to everything pretty well and couple of things insanely well. Not quite as nimble as the Kikuichi or as smooth through an onion as the Haruyuki (though it is still plenty nimble and very smooth), but has a better all around grind for a varied work load and the edge profile is really a thing of perfection (at least for my cutting style and produce I use).
Will post a more thorough review after a week or so of use.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:44 pm 

Ray, I hear what your saying, though while I love the pattern on the Shimo, I was really more attracted to it b/c of the performance, grind, edge profile and the steel (I didn't own a carbon steel knife). Also, a patina doesn't bother me at all. In fact, with the damascus, once a patina fully develops, I think it is going to look pretty cool. Right now, it't a bit blotchy and mostly brownish hue, but hoping that changes with use over time.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:54 pm 

<Rick> By far the Honosuke was the dullest, Gyuto was sharp, and I just did the Nakiri for grins the first 2 came out so well

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:10 pm 

ChipB wrote:So, I have to say, the Haruyuki is still the reigning champion with onions.....

That's because you didn't buy the HD2. :D

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:14 pm 

Jeff B wrote:That's because you didn't buy the HD2. :D

Ha! Probably. Seriously though, people really need to take a look at that Akifusa. The thing is the real deal. If you're interested, I'll send it on over for a test drive.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:20 pm 

SteveG wrote:Chip, reactive cladding is usually a softer iron material, which can in some cases react more than the core steel, at least initially. It's fun to see how the steel and cladding reacts to different products. Proteins can create interesting patina hues, especially poultry.

Personally I really loathe the iron clad. Would prefer mono steel so much more. Will take stainless cladding over the iron. Of course this has nothing to with nothing just felt like sharing personal taste.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:46 pm 

whosthebestcop wrote: Personally I really loathe the iron clad. Would prefer mono steel so much more. Will take stainless cladding over the iron. Of course this has nothing to with nothing just felt like sharing personal taste.

I will say, there was certainly a "WTF" moment when I noticed brown patina on the iron cladding after literally 30 seconds into an onion. Overall, doesn't really bother me though aside from the fact that the damascus pattern pre-patina is damn sexy.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 1:35 am 

I love patina I just like it better on mono-steel carbon.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 1:47 am 

If you're gonna put a cladding over a reactive steel, i.e. white or blue hitachi, why clad it with something that's also reactive? And on top of that the cladding is more reactive than the core! You can get a cheapo stainless knife for a couple of bucks so its not like stainless steel is expensive. Maybe some people like a patina on the whole blade but my tojiro itk petty's cladding will rust if I don't coat it with oil when I'm not using it, its more reactive than the core which is white #2.

Page 3 of 5 [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next