It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:36 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Konosuke HD2 Kiritsuke/Gyuto 270mm
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:50 pm 

I have been anticipating this knife for awhile. It is the gyuto I wanted to order a few months ago when I first started considering which one to get, but I gave the Richmond AS Laser in 240mm a shot first, because I was mostly working on the line at the time, and wanted a little shorter knife. I am still thrilled with the Laser, it is every ounce of knife that I wanted it to be, and then some, but the itch for the Kono just persisted, until I couldn't wait any longer. So I ordered it, and got it today.

Out of the box

Great looking knife, the spine is well rounded, and feels very professional and "soft" to the touch, but the choil is nothing to write home about, and could use a little bit of work. The handle is much better looking than I thought it would be, I tend to not like the traditional light handle dark ferrule look, but the tiger maple is very pronounced on this particular one. The handle complements my AS laser perfectly, as it is the same woods in opposite positions. The grind of the knife is perfect. It is totally uniform all along the length of it, and the edge profile is EXACTLY what I have been looking for. The flat spot is minimal, it is about 1.5" long and it occurs about 2" into the blade from the heel. A good spot to roll into for heel chopping. The edge is extremely good out of the box, not stupendous, or mind blowing, but it is very sharp, at least according to the thin strips of Marks packing paper on the floor in front of me.

It's first task is about to be undertaken, and it's my favourite test for a new knife. Mirepoix. Pictures and performance review to come.

Post subject: Re: Konosuke HD2 Kiritsuke/Gyuto 270mm
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:32 pm 

Awesome Doug! Looking forward to hearing more once you've had more time with it as I definitely have my eye on an HD2 Funi, or possibly a Kiritsuke (assuming they are in stock at the right time).

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:14 am 

Nice. Can't wait for the pics!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:23 am 

Performance

First of all. The knife got sharper as I used it. I did 3 lbs of onions, 1.5 lbs carrot, and 1.5 lbs celery, as well as four poblano peppers, seven green bell and four red bell peppers, and a couple pounds of roma tomatoes. (large pot of stuffed pepper soup). It is a laser, the blade is very thin, and at the tip it is wickedly thin.

This knife is exactly what I wanted. It seems almost immediately telekinetically linked through your hands. The knife is EXACTLY the length I wanted (~262mm) it weighs a nice light 5.8 oz. and it's height, 48mm at the heel, is exactly right for my pinch grip. This is a push cutting wet dream, and it rocks as well as my 240mm gyuto thanks to all that extra length. The kiritsuke tip is fantastic, you can go into a pepper to roll cut or seed a tomato with precision, you can mince garlic the way you'd mince an onion, even with a knife the size of a short wakizashi. I cut several lemons to put in water, just to test the HD steel, and I got no patina. My siberian red garlic did give it an AWESOME blue haze, but it wiped right off.

STEEL

I'm in love. Holds an edge much better than AEB-L it seems, only time will tell though. After cutting several pounds of veggies the knife is sharper than when I started. I will put a really nice edge on it tonight, but this knife will be immediately inserted into the primary role. I'll be cooking for a banquet coming up, and I can't wait to bust this out in front of my buddies. I'm really glad that I solidified a deal for my sharpening company to do the knives for all of the cooks at the 4 best restaurants in town, because there is not a chance in hell that I will send this knife back.

My conclusion

This is my ideal chefs knife. Profile is perfect, the steel seems great, its a laser, and the handle looks fantastic, very unexpectedly. I wanted to find something I don't like about it, because of the way people around here seem to worship konosuke. Just some niggle to knock it down a peg, and I found ONE thing. Fit and finish is very, very good, the knife came sharp, the steel holds a very nice edge, and I have no words to describe how much I love the blade profile, shape, curve, and grind. As a piece of steel used to cut vegetables, and proteins, I am truly impressed beyond words. The ONE thing I am going to complain about is this. The Kanji are not chiseled. lol. That's it. Konosuke for the win, I am deeply and truly impressed. I was thinking masakage for my deba when I get around to it, but the Kono white just took a big step forward on the list.

If you don't have a konosuke, and you are hesitant because it is $50-100 more than whatever you are considering, all I can say is remember this. You WILL have this knife for a LOOOOOOOOOOONG time. For me, knives become like pants. When I find some that I like (levi's jeans in my case) I stick with them, and stay loyal until something changes about them. I spend a lot of time with my knives, I cook professionally, and I cook EVERYTHING at home from scratch, including bread and pasta.

I will be buying more konosuke knives in the future. I want a bunka, and a deba, probably a yanagiba eventually. Right now, there is a very good chance that at least one of them will be a konosuke. The knife is really quite special, and while it doesn't have the beauty of damascus, or san mai, it has a more important beauty. This is a pretty darn big knife, it is over 10", and that is precisely how I wanted it. It is an absolute machine of a knife, for me, the perfect tool. I love it.

Yes, those are single cloves of garlic. The vendor next to me at the farmers market yesterday grows exotic garlic, this particular species is called Siberian Red. The cloves are huge, and EXTREMELY concentrated. This is a hot garlic.

A little fuzzy, but you get the idea. The knife is thin, and although I believe my AS laser to be thinner behind the edge, it is not a big difference. This knife is a laser.

You can see how much the tiger maple is striped.

Profile. Very very large radius.

Started working on the Saya right away tonight too. It will look really nice when it's done. Not to toot my own horn, but I am a pretty talented artist.

Last edited by JourneymanDoug on Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:34 am 

Nice pictures! It looks mean and functional, and I quite like the handle on this knife. I've been holding of on getting an HD because I can't decide which one to get. I was leaning toward the funayuki gyuto, but your review is making me think seriously about a kiritsuke instead. I don't rock, and they just look badass. I'm looking forward to seeing the saya when it is finished.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:34 am 

Great stuff. I'm with you though, the knife is gorgeous, I don't know why they stamped the logo instead of chiseled it.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 3:54 am 

Thanks of the great review Doug.
I was on the fence about this knife...but not any more.

Just got to decide on a white or HD.

....and where the coin is coming from ;-)

"Oh honey.............."

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 4:34 am 

mauichef wrote:
....and where the coin is coming from ;-)

"Oh honey.............."

A bottle of chloroform and wiffle ball bat does the trick for me :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:37 am 

One more note on the steel. It doesn't "feel" chippy. If you've ever used shun's VG10, or AS, you probably know what I'm talking about. You can hear it and feel it in the steel. I don't wrench my knives, but sometimes if you chop too hard on a bit of a bias, and the edge goes into the board, the knife can give you a vibe like it wants to chip. This steel doesn't have that feel.

Also real quick on the handle. The handle is shorter and a little smaller in diameter than the handle of my 240mm AS Laser. It's ok, because this knife was always going to get a rehandle eventually, but the slightly less hefty handle does put the balance point a solid inch in front of my pinch grip.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:42 pm 

Alright, I put true 15 degree edge on the knife last night with a shapton glass 500-1k-2k- 4k-8k progression followed by .25 micron diamond on roo strop. Put some tooth back on the edge with a gentle touch with the 8k stone at 16 degrees. The knife eats everything on the planet earth like it's not there. It is a truly screaming edge, and the steel took it quickly, with good feedback. The shapton stones which are also new to me cut very nicely, with really, really good feel. Got a burr with only a couple strokes once the profile was set. Really good stuff. 8k leaves a nice polish, with a good striation pattern under magnification.

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next