It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:35 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Konosuke HD vs HH
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:20 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Mark,

Hoping you can give me some advice about your knives.

I have been using Japanese knives for a couple of years and now have a really good idea of exactly what I'm looking for.

Ideally I'd like a fully stainless knife (it will be used in a pro kitchen) with a wa-handle, very hard steel and thin "laser" blade.

I was looking at the Konosuke HH series as I've heard very good things about them and notice you recommend Konosuke a lot on your forums, but had a couple of concerns. Firstly I notice in some of the photos of these knives, there is a significant gap (machi?) between the handle and blade, where in other photos the spine is pushed right up against the handle with no visible gap. Could you please confirm which of these is correct as I much prefer the latter as I find it both more comfortable and more hygeinic.

The second thing I would like to ask is about the Konosuke HD series as I've seen them get a lot of positive feedback. Is there a noticable difference between them and the HH series in terms of sharpness or edge retention, and how stainless is the "semi-stainless" steel?

Finally I guess is do you recommend the Konosuke HH line and are there any other similar knives that you sell which you think are better or that I should take into consideration?

I might as well be blunt and say that I was going to order a couple of extra hard stainless Sakai Yusuke knives from the ebay seller BluewayJapan as I'm told they can get the knives to you without customs charges, but it will be a couple of months until they have them in stock so I'm looking for alternatives. I see that you also sell a few Sakai Yusuke knives, and that they are a fair bit cheaper than the Konosukes. In your experience is there a difference in quality between these two brands?

Thanks for your help.
Chris

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: Konosuke HD vs HH
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:09 pm 
Site Admin

Many Japanese companies burn their tangs into the handle and they tend to come apart as they get used. They traditionally used to leave a gap so you could bang them in more as you used them to tighten them up. It's a look that some companies like Masamoto do on all their knives.

Konosuke now does them all with tangs banged up against the shoulder at my request so it should be relatively tight to the ferrule. Most of my customers like them that way so that's why I requested them tight.

There is not much difference in performance between the HH and HD. I'm splitting hairs here but the HH has better stainless properties. The HD has slightly better edge retention. They both sharpen pretty easily and you can get them screaming sharp if you're a good knife sharpener.

I like Konosukes better than the Sakai Yusukes but again there is not a huge difference. The Konosukes have a better fit and finish. Konos also seem to hold their edge better. Grinds are similar. Handles are similar.

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: Konosuke HD vs HH
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:44 pm 
Forum Moderator

Go HD.

:)

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ]