It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:47 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Konosuke Ginsan 270 Gyuto
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:51 pm 

Well I finally up and did it. I went for broke on a knife. I decided on the Kono Ginsan 270 gyuto. I've finally accepted I'm not a carbon guy, and decided to stick with my inclination toward stainless. Seemed like this knife was near the top of the scale as far as elite stainless knives go.

I decided to hold out for the 270 instead of the 240, as these knives seem to run short, both in length and height. I've found a little long beats a little short, to my preferences. This example is about 254mm heel to tip, and almost 52mm heel to spine. Perfectly fine for me in both dimensions.

This knife came with the old hybrid ebony handle. I put in the order for the yew handled as soon as I got the notification that it became available. I then received an email from CKTG, staring that Konosuke had sent them the hybrid handle instead of the yew. Despite the fact that these handles were far more expensive, CKTG generously offered me the knife for the same price in compensation for the confusion, or to refund me if I chose. This is a fantastic company as you well know, and they always do the very best they can to do right by us, and I truly appreciate it. I had been waiting for this blade for months, so I decided to accept their very generous offer.

First off, amazing fit and finish, as I had hoped at the price point. Mirror polished choil and spine. The knife is just a work of art, just oozes quality craftsmanship. The large secondary bevels make for an extremely thin edge, and yet a fairly robust spine. The grind looks and feels immaculate.

I will say that the handle makes the knife fairly heavy, as I expected. The balance point is about 2-3 mm in front of the heel. The handle is great looking. The ebony has a beautiful grain, and the end cap with the kanji engraved is a thing of beauty as well. I can say that overall, I likely would have preferred the weight and balance of the traditional wa yew handle. But in the end, I am a home cook, and I suppose at this point, a collector. A slight trade off of beauty for weight is fine. I won't be hammering away for hours, and I will be long admiring this piece of functional art.

I cut a few things with the factory edge, and it was not the best. With this grind the knife still performed great, however.

I will put my edge on it soon, and will give it some more heavy use, and report back with some more substantive comments about the knifes performance in a few weeks.

So really, all I can say so far is that I am blown away by the look, by the craftsmanship, and of course by the service of CKTG. Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Konosuke Ginsan 270 Gyuto
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:36 pm 

Can't wait to hear more about the performance once you use it for a while. Those blades look so so so nice.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:32 pm 

I so want to try this knife! Hope to hear more about it soon!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:25 am 
Forum Moderator

Those stats are perfect to me...

254x52

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:25 pm 

Yes I was very happy with the size when I took it out of the box. The 240s seem to be 225 on the edge and 47-48 mm tall, which is just not for me, especially the height.

Unfortunately I'm pretty confident you would despise the handle, Melampus.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:26 pm 
Forum Moderator

Oh, I would... for sure, but there are few blades that fit that niche. I have a custom on order right now @252x51... that is utter perfection for me.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:45 pm 

I should get my new Ginsan tomorrow, upon Mark's strong recommendation (two times over). The first time I asked about these (right when they came back in stock...and right after I purchased a Fujiyama Blue #2 after waiting for months for either one), Mark said he was strongly torn about taking one home himself because they were so nice. The second (or third) inquiry suggested that he very well may have taken one home, in fact, at least to play with. Mine is one of the "240s," but in truth, I have no idea how long it will actually be (the 225 stat is over a year old from an old batch, although Mark has suggested that the new batch is similar). Height is way more important to me than length, though, so I assume all will be ok. I have no idea – at all – if I will keep it or not given that I already have comparable Konos. But, as in the OP, I just couldn't resist the idea of Ginsan and had to take the plunge. I'm actually a bit anxious about it...but I'm also REALLY excited to try it. Mine has a yew handle, which I'm also excited about....

Finger's crossed. How is it going after the sharpening? I've touched up my Fuji twice now, and am still very, very far from its true potential. (I also got a strop kit...I don't think my 6k is high enough for the edge on the Fujiyama, even though it gets my HDs ridiculously refined.) It is tricky: the grind is so good, that it is often difficult to tell the condition of the edge unless you're on a tough-skinned veggie or really paying attention. (Any by that I mean the difference between a "sharp" versus "hair shaving" edge...which can be considerable). I'm wondering if the Ginsan will be similar, given that they "look" similar. But who knows? I suspect totally different people are forging and grinding these blades, even though they look so very similar...

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 12:23 am 

I went very lightly through a progression of 1.5 shapton pro, 6k arashiyama, yaginoshima asagi. It took to the natural like a champ, easily tree topping hair and passing HHT.

The knife is extremely thin behind the edge, the primary bevel is tiny, even sharpening at a very low angle.

Still can't give an in depth review, but yes, julienned bell peppers, diced onion, minced garlic and sliced mushrooms, all with an ease I had yet to experience. The wide secondary bevel makes the tip absurdly thin , so making the grid on the onion was a true pleasure.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 1:09 am 

Most of these photos will be utterly useless; I apologize for that. Still can't take a decent choil shot. Anyway, here is what we are dealing with.

Attachments:
photo 4 (400x300).jpg [86.32 KiB]
Not downloaded yet
photo 5 (300x400).jpg [81.49 KiB]
Not downloaded yet
photo 1 (1) (400x300).jpg [76 KiB]
Not downloaded yet
photo 2 (1) (300x400).jpg [100.2 KiB]
Not downloaded yet
photo (34) (300x400).jpg [89.81 KiB]
Not downloaded yet

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 1:12 am 

Thanks for the update on sharpening. And what a fantastic profile! I'm glad to see how flat and practical that long edge is, but still with a proper tip. Congrats!

Page 1 of 2 [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next