It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:26 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 4 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Konosuke Fujiyama Gyuto: White #2 vs Blue #2
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:26 pm 
Forum Moderator

ADAM <> Look at us affirming our confirmations! :lol:

MEMBERSHIP <> Since we're on record, I was not implying that ADAM was contradicting me, but I did recognize the dynamic then presented between his comment, "Neither is a true workhorse IMHO" & mine, "As a workhorse, the white(s) have a more robust grind" potentially creates ambiguity, at best.

I knew ADAM, knew what I meant, but I recognized it might had confused some readers; thus, my clarifying address. I wouldn't call any Fujiyama a "workhorse" as defined by common vernacular, but if you were to use any of them as your everyday one knife all solution go-to, the Whites have a more robust grind... read as tougher.

That exchange was hilarious... I have a great respect for you, as well, ADAM! Image

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:38 pm 

Yea, I think we need to calm down on the sucking up, I'm getting nauseous. Image

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:47 pm 
Forum Moderator

JEFFB <> No one is blowing the other here. Our decorum typifies the esprits de corps we promote amid our community. We lead by example...

And honestly, you have seemed to have been progressively losing touch of that as your tenure has grown. :| I hope all is well in mind, body, and spirit.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:37 pm 
Forum Moderator

Haha!!

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:05 pm 

Mel, I think you understood perfectly a question I should have been a little more specific with. By "workhorse", I meant the knife I use for the large majority of what I will cut which will see usage that is frequent, but not overly stressful or abusive. Given the thinner blade profile and a steel that favors wear resistance/hardness over toughness, it would not be used to cut things like bone, hard outer portion of fruits/vegetables, nuts, etc. (I'll use a $50 Wustoff for that). I probably should have just said "the primary knife I use for preparing most foods", in the same sense of a pocket knife one carries for general usage rather than a "tactical knife" capable of cutting up a car hood but not slicing a piece of rope due to a 1/4 inch thick blade.

Thank you everyone for the input, explanations, and clarifications. Based on what I have read here, it sounds like either or will work for me and that saving a $100 on the White Fuji makes sense as I would like to purchase the Chosera stones for my EP down the line. While not currently in stock, I suppose that gives me some time to save up.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:48 pm 

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/kowh2fugy ... 5-B4GS9LTo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:51 am 

Just making a little joke Mel, nothing more. :|

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 4:28 am 

I am the recent proud owner of a Kono Fuji Blue #2 270. I will be reviewing it in a month or so after I have given it more time in actual use. My reasons for purchase included the reviews regarding the utility of the knife and the way the Shinogi line/grind stood out to me. The appearance is stunning and so far the blade is outstanding. However, though the edge is that of a laser type knife, the body and heft of the knife is more in keeping with my heavier German knives. To me this is a great combination for regular use in the kitchen. So far this is the knife I first pick up and the last knife I put down unless I am slicing Sashimi. There are times I will use my Masakage Shimo 240 just because I like how light it is comparatively but for most of my cutting needs I can see this Blue #2 as my go to knife. As a disclosure, I have only had to strop this knife so far and have not needed to go to the stones as of yet. This might be due to my not being super aggressive with this knife to date. No doubt that will change. Very best of luck with your new purchase.

Jamie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:00 am 
Forum Moderator

ZAC <> I understood your sentiment, but I have to assume not everyone else does. As such, I do my best to speak in the most concise fashion I can; void of common colloquialisms that are prevalent in our vernacular so as to steer as clear as possible from getting confused or confusing the reader with potential semantic divergence. If you wanna see some divergent beliefs, start talking about workhorses & lasers, or primary & secondary bevels.

In my view regarding the knife, it all boils down to personal preference in design as in a residential environment, the odds on you recognizing the difference in edge retention between B#2 and W#2 are unlikely whereas the knife's design is something that will play a much larger role in your relationship with the knife. Jamie above, prefers the large bevel; not that he has a W#1 or 2 to compare it to, but nonetheless. Personally, I'm more impressed by the White iteration than I am with the Blue - gyuto vs. gyuto, but I prefer the former's design void of the large pronounced bevel. For $330 the W#2 <--link is a very unique knife that offers conservative elegance in an extremely competent 230mm package.

SWARFY <> That knife is one CRAZY deal! Someone need jump on that. I have the same knife, but with a Ho handle as you all know how much I dislike those heavy ebonies. ;)

JEFF <> You know how much I enjoy the comedic arts & I've got way thicker skin to had been personally upset by your post - even if it were a jab, but it surely came across as snarky - to more than a few people. Same words with a wink wink ;) woulda been a whole different ball game, but all's well that ends well; no harm, no foul...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 3:00 pm 

Well, they say things happen for a reason and I suppose this may be the case...

Mark informed me that the White Fuji was a 6 month wait and more importantly that the handle material was changing (I really like the ebony, and I expect it to be a heavier handle, which is what I personally prefer as I like the balance). So I ordered a Blue Fuji 240mm and a Chosera 5000 for my EP. So I guess I will get to see the difference in Blue vs. White, although the edge geometry of the Fuji appears to differ dramatically from the HD, so then again I may not and most differences will probably be more due to this and my ability to sharpen...?

My Shapton or Chosera full EP kit is going to have to wait, but that's OK because I can't slice a tomato or mince an onion with a ceramic stone. I assume the Blue #2 will be a little harder to sharpen than my White, but probably not quite as bad as the Super Blue variant of the Paper Steels (I have a Spyderco in solid Super Blue with a FFG and it's a knife of serious wear resistance!)

Any idea if the knife will come with paperwork stating the angle it was set at? (I'll use the EP Sharpie test but still like the redundancy of knowing I am in the right ballpark) Also, the pictures on CKTG does not show the back of the grind...is this guy a chisel grind or a high flat/saber? I ask that as I sharpen a chisel grind differently on the EP than most others.

Page 2 of 4 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next