It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:17 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Konosuke Fujiyama Blue #2 270 Gyuto
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 8:14 pm 

Last night, after an amazing L.A. Kings game, I was minding my own business and happened to turn on to the CKtG web site. Lo and Behold this beautiful and exquisite Kono came back on line and into inventory. I guess I will not be asking too many more questions about which 270 Gyuto I should buy as this one is already on its way to my home. Yes, I am excited but I now have to learn how to sharpen it properly. That could and undoubtedly will take an entire series of me asking questions. Thank you all for your ongoing help in all aspects of Knives, accessories and sharpening.

Jamie

Last edited by fishordie on Tue May 27, 2014 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Konosuke Fujiyama Blue #2 270 Gyuto
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 8:20 pm 

Ask away, we answer ;)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 3:44 am 

Before you do anything to the knife Jaime, have a look here:
konosuke-fujiyama-blue-2-gyuto-and-sharpening-t5250.html

When you get it, you'll know what I mean.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 3:43 pm 

Thank you for that Desol,

I figured I would not be considering attacking the bevel under the Shinogi for many years (Until needed) as that blingy line is one of the big things that turns me on about the knife. The more I am learning about knife sharpening the more I am realizing a thin micro bevel, more often than not, appears to be the way to maintain the best condition and sharpest condition of the knife. I am certainly not a professional but I do love the sharpest knife in the box. Am I wrong in this assumption?

Jamie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 5:49 pm 

Yep. The trick is in knowing when and how often to touch the edge up. The edge is so fine it is really easy to remove a lot of metal quickly from overzealous sharpening. When the damage is done, there's no going back. :) Luckily I more or less learn't this from destroying a few cheaper JP knives from oversharpening, before I got the 240. For me, the more experience I got with the knife, the longer and longer the intervals got. I use an 8k stone and literally only do 4 or 5 light, edge-leading strokes on each side to touch up.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:18 pm 

desol wrote:Yep. The trick is in knowing when and how often to touch the edge up. The edge is so fine it is really easy to remove a lot of metal quickly from overzealous sharpening. When the damage is done, there's no going back. :) Luckily I more or less learn't this from destroying a few cheaper JP knives from oversharpening, before I got the 240. For me, the more experience I got with the knife, the longer and longer the intervals got. I use an 8k stone and literally only do 4 or 5 light, edge-leading strokes on each side to touch up.

Desol, edge leading or trailing strokes?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:01 am 

Leading...

Skip to 3:00
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Duwt8oMZRaA

Add a few more strokes.

It's exactly the same method that I found worked best for me (someone else found the video); not more than ten strokes each side, using both hands to maintain angle and stability. I deduced this simple approach for touching up after much testing, scoping, research and experience with sharpening straights. The only time I use edge-trailing is for thinning, which is the normal Japanese style of sharpening.

It's kind of silly that it amounted to something so simple after months of trial and error and examination, and burning through a few knives. But, all things being equal, it's the most efficient method for lightly retouching the edge, for me.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 5:16 am 

I have been using this amazing knife for about a week now and all I can say is wow. I have only done a few strop strokes to the knife using a .5 micron, .25 and bare horse butt strop and am super pleased. The knife came with a fair amount of tooth to it. The Fuji was the sharpest edged OOTB knife I have purchased even though it is not the thinnest. This thing is a workaholic. Visually, this makes my other knives look like they need to get a big boy set of pants. I do not mean that in a derogatory manner rather that was my first instinct when I saw and handled it. From the size and heft of the handle/ferule to the size and visual grind of the blade, this beauty is magnificent. The knife should have come with a recording of Hallelujah when I opened the box. The only draw back was the blade is a bit shorter than I expected but I kind of knew going in the Kono blades are a bit shorter than their generic noted lengths. This Fuji is only a bit bigger than my 240 ( Around a 1/2 inch longer) Masakage Shimo but feels perfect probably due to the heft of the bigger handle. What an amazing balance. Before I go on and write a review, I want to really put it through its paces to get a better sense of this blade. It is quite different from anything I have ever used and I mean that in the best way possible.

Jamie

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ]