It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:31 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 6 of 7 [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Konosuke ebony handles
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:49 pm 

taz575 wrote:Jeff, tell her it's the same one, get a matching handle for it and she won't know the difference :)

Its funny because it is true!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:09 pm 

Thanks for the post, Mark. This is very exciting to read, although it sounds like you still won't have the particular knife I'm looking for (it is out of stock on the website, and you mentioned you didn't think any where included in the bulk purchase). I'll still look out for other deals on other styles, though.

Would you recommend that I just wait and see for when the Blue Fujiyamas come back on the website, then? I probably wouldn't bother with getting a replacement handle if it comes with one from Konosuke, although I do admit to being very interested in something lighter than ebony...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:11 pm 

The knife isn't noticeably heavy Salem...or heavy beyond what is acceptable. It's the same weight as my 10" yellow Henckel (194g) designed for commercial use.

If you like a light knife, I'd look at the HD2 series. They're nice featherweights.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:08 pm 

Thanks for the comments, desol. I'm aware of those features of both knives; my comment was referring to the ebony handle in particular. I find that my HD2 240 with ebony is a bit handle heavy, even when compared to my "lighter" 210, which has a Ho handle. I actually prefer the balance of the 210 overall, and I'd like my next knife to approximate that more than the ebony handle, regardless of overall weight. (The balance point on the ebony is acceptable, but is just in front of the handle. I'd like something that is at or in front of a pinch grip, but on a lighter knife overall—and by lighter I mean in general, and not lighter than my HDs.)

My desire for the fujiyama is for a number of reasons, but weight/balance are certainly part of the game. I like the fact that it might have a heftier spine than the HD2s, but still a nice thin blade; the pronounced secondary bevel is very desirable, too—it would be a first for me. :D

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:57 pm 

Yeah...it's a nice knife. The balance point on my Fuji blue is exactly above the heel of the blade...about an inch in front of the handle. Basically the perfect dead-centre balance.
I like the black/ivory combo, and I'm glad that's what it came with. My tastes are fairly utilitarian, so I'm not into swirly handles, etc. About the fanciest I'd go is some silver in with the ebony, which would make it fit for a king.

If I were king. ;)

Last edited by desol on Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:57 pm 
Site Admin

We have more of them on order with ebony handles so just hang in there a little bit and we'll have them back in stock at some point in the next 1-20 weeks ( I never know when they will show).

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:11 pm 

Thanks for the updates, Mark—this is really good to know. Perhaps it will arrive just in time for graduation!

I agree, desol—the ebony handles are really quite attractive—I love the look of mine. Of course, based on the pictures I've seen of the knife, I can imagine it looking pretty amazing with all sorts of different handles, especially with a little nickel spacer somewhere. I'm all for basic and simple, which is why I think I'd rather keep the ebony than have it replaced, as I'd just replace it with something a tad lighter, but otherwise virtually identical. That said, if I had the option, I would probably not request ebony (except, perhaps, for the ferrule).

What is a little odd for me is that I'm a bit short, which actually means that counters are a bit tall. :) This wouldn't be an issue if I wasn't always cutting on thick end-grain. Anyways, the point is that it means my wrist is closer to the height of the handle, which means having a more forward balance point actually helps to control the tip a little more. (It is hard to imagine, but if you place your board up a bit, you'll feel what I mean.) I imagine that, once I get out of my current place (which actually has extra-high counters), I will be a little less picky about the balance point.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:42 pm 

Some balance points I prefer forward based...like Nakiri's. I like them a little fatter up front...cause then they seem to chop by themselves at speed.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:46 am 

I do like the Fujiyama Kurouchi series with the standard rosewood handle. Reminds me of a plain Shirasaya mounting.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 3:22 am 

Those Are BEAUTIFUL!

Page 6 of 7 [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next