It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:45 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 5 of 7 [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Konosuke ebony handles
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:50 pm 

I LOVE the look of my Kono ebony. However, it is on a 240 HD2, and I don't like how it pushes the balance point toward the handle (in fact, I like the balance of my 210 better, which has a Ho handle). The fact that I am a pianist may make me a little more sentimental to the look/feel of the ebony...that said, it is really hard for me to imagine anyone thinking my Kono handle looked cheap or painted in person—those comments by others really surprise me!

I guess I'm saying that a different handle makes sense for cost, but it would be nice if the materials were as durable and elegant as the Buffalo Horn and Ebony, both of which are really solid, hard, non-porous options. I do think lighter is better, however, at least for the Konos. I do not have experience with the maple ferrules, so I don't mean to compare, but to offer a different point of view.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:27 pm 

I really like the contrast that the ebony handles have with the blonde ferrule. I recently purchased a 300 mm Konosuke HD2 sujihiki, and it is a very beautiful knife. I am a fan of the classical Japanese aesthetics of Konosuke knives. I would not object to an offering of a standard handle on the knife, and an additional option to change the type of handle you want on the knives. I do not want you to drop the ebony line, please!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:49 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Mark,

It has been fun interacting with other members of the forum in regards to my earlier question (which you posted there—see below).

I’m 90% settled on buying a Kono blue #2 “Fujiyama" if/when new ones come in. I’m wondering now about a few details of ordering the knife. I saw a different thread on HANDLE CHANGES to these knives by you. In short, I’m curious if it is possible to reserve one of these knives, as well as a specific handle type, at no extra cost, or if the knives arrive with handles and will require an extra cost for changes. I would be satisfied with an stock handle, but if you are going to put new handles on the knives, anyway, I may like to request a specific combination—for example, perhaps "rosewood with ebony ferrule" or bubinga with wenge ferrule rather than "wenge with maple ferrule."

Perhaps you’d prefer to address this on the forum for others? post50746.html#p50746

Thanks!
Joe

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:54 pm 
Site Admin

I spoke with Kosuke and this is actually a good time to do a test with them. One of their key employees is on maternity leave and so I got a list of everything they had on the shelf that were without handles and I cleaned them out. I think I bought about a hundred knives today and they should ship fast.

I'll handle all of these knives and you can look for at least one model in an upcoming forum member only sale when we're ready. As for the specific one you're interested in, I don't think that was one of the ones they had in stock. If you want that specific knife you can buy the handle and installation and we'll knock off the old handle and install the new one for you.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:10 am 
Forum Moderator

100 hundred Konosukes. ;) :twisted: ;) :twisted: ;)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:02 am 

Oh no, I just bought my first full carbon blade and I am loving it so far. Don't do this to me :)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:08 am 

Oh, I never should have read this....wow!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:57 am 

My wife is going to schit if I buy another Kono. She has been a little irritated because I bought more few more stones recently. I assured her I was done buying knives and stones for awhile! Should learn to keep my mouth shut.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:01 am 
Forum Moderator

Jeff, tell her it's the same one, get a matching handle for it and she won't know the difference :)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:03 am 

Sounds like a plan!

Page 5 of 7 [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next