It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:02 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 3 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Konosuke Damascus W#1 240mm First Impression
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:12 pm 

This Kono just arrived today http://www.chefknivestogo.com/kofuwh1da240.html and I will say this is by far the most beautiful knife I own. I have only put it through one onion, some scallions and a pear, so my comments are largely going to be limited to feel, construction, fit and finish etc.

First, a couple of pics (post onion and pear):

FIT AND FINISH

Kono certainly lived up to their reputation with this blade. The fit and finish on the blade itself was impeccable. Everything from spine to choil has been beautifully rounded, with the rounding on the neck/choil coming to a bit of an angle. The damascus has a wonderful matte finish with the overall blade finish done vertically. As the knife was sold sans-handle, I ordered a large bubinga and wenge grip from Mark which was installed perfectly and sealed well.

CONSTRUCTION

The core of the knife is W#1 with damascus iron cladding. Compared to my other iron clad knives, there is very very little reactivity so far from the iron. The W#1 core does seem to bit a bit more sensitive than W#2, but nothing crazy.
I'm glad I opted for the larger handle on the install as the balance point resides perfectly on a pinch grip. I have not weighed the knife, but I'd put it squarly in the middleweight category, probably somewhere around 6.5 oz. Lengthwise, it is a touch shorter than a true 240 but not dramatically so as I measured it at 234mm.
The spine clocks in at around 3.5mm above the neck (feels downright thin after using the Kato so much recently) and has a very gradual taper. It hits 2.5mm a couple of inches in and just under 2mm about halfway through the knife. It continues the moderate taper through the tip which doesn't get ultra thin at the spine.
This is distinctly right handed knife. The edge itself is single bevel and the grind is quite noticeably asymmetrical. There is pronounced convexing on the dominant side of the blade, while the left hand side does have some curvature, but is significantly flatter both in the final grind and up around the primary bevel. I plan on putting a 50/50 bevel on the edge for durability purposes but want to play with it as is for a little while first.
Behind the edge, the knife gets very, very thin as one would expect. The edge profile itself is one that I usually don't gravitate towards, but look forward to learning. The flat section towards the heal is only about 1 inch long after which thee is a moderately curved taper into a continuous belly towards the tip. I did experience accordion issues at various points along the edge when working the scallions, so will take some time for me to find the sweet spots on the blade. I also did some rocking on section of the pear and it was completely fluid and natural.

Well, that's about it for now. Will update in a few weeks after I've had a chance to really play with it and put a 50/50 edge on the thing.

Post subject: Re: Konosuke Damascus W#1 240mm First Impression
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:32 pm 

I would not hesitate to call that beautiful. Something about those soft finishes on full-carbon damascus knives really gets me. I think the handle is a great match, aesthetically, as it provides some nice warm coloration but lets the blade be the center of attention. It looks a little long in proportion to the blade, which makes the picture look like a 210 to me, but it seems like that has the side effect of putting the balance point in a good place.

I look forward to more thorough reports on its performance later, but I am sure it will be very good if you can adjust to the edge profile.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:22 pm 

Love the long handle. Is this a new option? It is much closer to the standard Kono handles, at least as I know them (which tend to run long). Since balance on the board is not just about total mass/weight, but also weight placement, I think the longer handles contribute to a different feel all their own (that I like), even if they come across as a bit "samurai" in way some might think is cheesy (again, I happen to like it). I also appreciate the comments on the asymmetry. One of my Konos definitely feels a bit asymmetrical, even though it is advertised as a 50/50 with a large primary bevel. I'm a bit surprised at the thickness of the tang—that's actually nice to hear, given the length of the knife and the damascus coating, even if it sounds a bit thick for other Fujiyamas in that size range.

It is nice to hear that you're very pleased with the look of the knife, especially since I think you may have had some apprehensions about the damascus finish (I certainly would have). Your pictures suggest it is a real looker without drawing any attention to itself, and I can only imagine how interesting it will look with a nice patina. I hope enjoy!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:59 pm 

Yeah I got turned onto longer handles with my Shigefusa which came with a fat 6 inch D which I loved. The handle on the Kono is the same one that is on my Kato, except the Kato handle is the smaller version and I knew I wanted something bigger than that especially on a larger blade.

Joe, not only was the grind asymetrical, but the edge is single bevel as well on this knife. Given reactivity and dimensions to boot, I'd probably consider this a completely different blade than the non-damascus W#1s given what I've read about them.

I decided to go ahead and put a 50/50 edge on the knife at roughly 15.5 deg per side. This thing was amazingly easy to sharpen and re-bevel. By far the best sharpening experience I've had to date with a knife. Progressions came and went very quickly, burr formation was virtually instantaneous, and the quality of the edge it has now is superb. I went through a 500/1000/1500 progression and finished with 6000 grit.
Still in shock at how quick this thing sharpened up. Now to see how well it holds I suppose :)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:10 pm 

You didn't give the single beveled edge a chance? I'm surprised.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:31 pm 

Lepus wrote:You didn't give the single beveled edge a chance? I'm surprised.

To be honest, it needed a post-factory sharpening (edge was fine, but I wanted something sharper for comparison purposes with my other knives) and I don't know how to properly sharpen a true single bevel on the EP. Plus, I figured given my cutting style, it would probably require a double bevel sooner rather than later anyway.

Post sharpening, I ran it through so more produce. Very, very impressed. I can certainly see why these knives are so well liked here as I honestly don't want to put the thing down. Can't wait to get to know it better and share some more detailed thoughts.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:01 pm 

Thanks for the initial thoughts Chip. This was the knife I was talking about in the other thread asking for your first look. :) I had forgotten you purchased this one sans handle.
It would be interesting to hear a compare and contrast to some of your other "top tier" gyutos once you've had some time with her.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:22 pm 
Forum Moderator

Pay attention to drag from the damascus.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 5:06 pm 

Melampus wrote:Pay attention to drag from the damascus.

Will do!
The damascus is pretty subtle in terms of texture/layering but will pass it through some soft soft stuff vs. a kasumi finish to see if I can detect a difference. I have had the impression sometimes that a heavy patina increases drag/sticktion. I'm not sure if that is something others have noticed as well or not. It could very well be that the patinas in question were had some oxidization going on as well which caused it.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:37 pm 

ChipB wrote:I have had the impression sometimes that a heavy patina increases drag/sticktion.

I have noticed that forced patina does this. Patinas that form naturally do not seem to, but the initial use after patina forcing often has the knife exhibiting excess drag. This may not be the case for all forced patina methods, but it has been true for me in the past (using mustard).

Page 1 of 3 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next