It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 3:38 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Kono HD
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:25 pm 

In terms of Edge retention how does it compare to the Tanaka Sekiso , was thinking getting the Kono HD

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:34 pm 

I too prefer a continuous curve for push cutting. A big flat makes chopping difficult, without constant accordions. A big flat is AWESOME for glide rocking, though, where you are certain to get the knife nice and flat onto the board. Glad you like it, my next gyuto will be an HD2 270mm, but for now at least my Richmond 240 is really surprising me more and more every time I use it, at really how much knife you are getting for the dollar. From photographs, the HD looks a fair bit flatter than say my Richmond AS Laser, which is has a perfect (IMOP) profile with a really nice gentle sweep, from tip to heel. I only just recently discovered a grind error on my richmond as I was cutting colossal onions. Very near the heel the grind has a bit of a hollow. It will be easy enough to fix, as the hollow is certainly no more than half a millimeter deep or so, but it's just deep enough to leave accordions when using the full length of the blade.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:57 pm 

JourneymanDoug wrote:I too prefer a continuous curve for push cutting. A big flat makes chopping difficult, without constant accordions. A big flat is AWESOME for glide rocking, though, where you are certain to get the knife nice and flat onto the board. Glad you like it, my next gyuto will be an HD2 270mm, but for now at least my Richmond 240 is really surprising me more and more every time I use it, at really how much knife you are getting for the dollar. From photographs, the HD looks a fair bit flatter than say my Richmond AS Laser, which is has a perfect (IMOP) profile with a really nice gentle sweep, from tip to heel. I only just recently discovered a grind error on my richmond as I was cutting colossal onions. Very near the heel the grind has a bit of a hollow. It will be easy enough to fix, as the hollow is certainly no more than half a millimeter deep or so, but it's just deep enough to leave accordions when using the full length of the blade.

Funny, I find the exact opposite. I find a large flat is excellent for push cutting, but not quite as great for rocking. The more an edge is curved, the more arced/exaggerated my cut has to be to avoid accordion issues. That's just me though

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:59 pm 

It's not just you. I agree, and I think most others would too. But that doesn't make Doug's point any less valid. It just comes down to individual technique, which can vary wildly while still being good. Different people enjoy different knives in varied ways.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:13 pm 

For sure. Was just a little surprised to see his impressions of edge shape performance as they are not something I typically associated with flat/curved edges.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:38 pm 

Melampus wrote:MAUI <> How are you sharpening her now?

On my balsa and horse butt strops.
Seems to be holding it's edge very well......
But.........could it be better?
Am I scarred to put it to the stone..... :?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:23 am 
Forum Moderator

ELDER <> Very different knives - one thick convex grind & one quasi-laser, but if you are pleased with the Sekiso's retention, you should be very pleased with the HD's. Depends so much on how you sharpen, but how my HD's edges last surprise the hell outta me.

MAUI <> Since you are comfortable stropping, I wouldn't be scared stepping up to your Rika & transitioning in by stropping on it. If you can pass edge-trailing strokes on balsa, the stone is mechanically no different. It will take off more steel than the balsa, but that's likely necessary. Just an idea...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:03 pm 

Melampus wrote:MAUI <> Since you are comfortable stropping, I wouldn't be scared stepping up to your Rika & transitioning in by stropping on it. If you can pass edge-trailing strokes on balsa, the stone is mechanically no different. It will take off more steel than the balsa, but that's likely necessary. Just an idea...

Thanks Mel...that's just the push I needed.
I'll report back when I've taken the plunge.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:24 am 

ChipB wrote:
Funny, I find the exact opposite. I find a large flat is excellent for push cutting, but not quite as great for rocking. The more an edge is curved, the more arced/exaggerated my cut has to be to avoid accordion issues. That's just me though

I should amend that to say that I prefer a very large radius continuous curve. A perfectly flat blade makes chopping nearly impossible. A long flat spot is great for locomotive rocking because the blade is always in contact with the board. If you lift the knife off the board a perfectly flat blade has to hit the board just right while rapidly chopping. A nice gentle, large radius curve is a little more forgiving, because when you hit the board the knife will naturally roll a little back towards you. I find that I can chop much faster and more accurately with a very gentle curve. When push cutting you roll the knife just a little bit forward when the small contact area of the blade makes contact with the board. This is why I ordered the Kono Kiritsuke, extremely large radius on the curve.

Of course YMMV, as everyone has different technique.

Page 2 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2