It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 6:16 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 4 of 4 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 Post subject: Re: Kohetsu HAP40 questions.
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:17 am 

Thanks Steve! Although I have one of the Damascus Gyutos that was on sale a few months back, so I feel like another great value $100 gyuto would be redundant, even though it's a different steel. Assuming more $ buys you more sharpness I'd be willing to add another 100 and change for teh ultimate edge. (My gf says I have a problem :o).

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:43 am 

More $ doesn't really buy more sharpness. It buys cosmetics, better F&F and other little performance intangibles.

Kohetsu blue#2 is a killer deal for the performance. A second laser may not wow you like your Goko did, though.

Instead, how about trying something a little different like a mid-weight that's very thin behind the edge?
Yuki - http://www.chefknivestogo.com/mayugy24.html
AS laser - http://www.chefknivestogo.com/rilaaosu24gy.html

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:27 pm 
Forum Moderator

@Telecide - if you have the 210 Goko Damascus, that's a very thin knife. I don't know if other thin knives will really outperform it by that much - maybe the Takamura R-2 knives. I really like Mark's idea about going with a mid weight with a thin edge. His suggestions are excellent in either the 210 or 240 lengths.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 6:44 pm 

Thanks again Mark & Steve! I have come pretty close to pulling the trigger on that R-2. I do like the Japanese style handles though. Both the Yuki and the AS laser look really interesting! And would be probably a nice weight between the Goku and my Suien cleaver, which is about a pound.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:20 pm 

"More $ doesn't really buy more sharpness. It buys cosmetics, better F&F and other little performance intangibles."

=grind...not a small issue ;)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:23 pm 
Forum Moderator

The Takamura R-2 Gyuto has a more slender, rounded handle which gives it a sort of Wa feel, but it does not have the blade forward balance of many true Wa handled knives.

I think a middle weight would be a great addition for you. If you want more refined rustic, go Yuki. If you want higher edge retention and less rustic go AS Laser. Both are awesome knives!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:42 pm 

Good to know that the Shaptons work fine even for steels this hard. Just to bad they won't work on my ceramics

Page 4 of 4 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4