It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:12 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 3 of 4 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Kohetsu HAP40 questions.
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:36 am 

Umberto wrote:What experience do you have with HAP40 steel Vovas? Have you sharpened it?

Yes I do own one knife made of HAP40 steel, Kazahana Gyuto Hocho. The edge retention of kazahana HAP40 is slightly better than Aogami Super, white or blue steels. For home users especially for people who doesn't know how to sharpen HAP40 steel is a must. On the professional kitchen I still favor white or HD steel over HAP40, only because I can restore the edge much faster.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:39 am 

Nmiller21k wrote:
vovaskitchen wrote:HAP40 is best for people who doesn't know how to sharpen their knives. Nothing can beat whites #1 and #2

I feel this might be a blanket statement.
I know how to sharpen

My interest in HAP40 for for long term edge retention while extremely busy at work.

<Nmiller21k> You'll be "surprised"

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:19 am 

I bought a Gihei HAP40 165mm Santoku today after an urge for very hard steel. :lol: The listed HRC is 67:68. The shop owner refined the knife with a Naniwa 8000 grit ceramic stone and a strop, but the edge still felt not as sharp as knives sharpened with a guided sharpener. Looks like I will need the Atoma 140 to re-profile the edge to 10 degree per side.

Last edited by Knifeman CAN on Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:49 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:25 am 

I kind of grit my teeth at an Atoma hitting a hard thin edge. Not based in any fact, just instinct. Like nails on a chalkboard.

My HAP40 nakiri was so thin at the edge that the Shapton 1K rebeveled it perfectly. Took some time, but nothing bad. You might want to give that a shot first?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:13 pm 

In the reviews of the HAP40 210mm gyuto, Steve from Castro Valley, CA says:

It’s no secret that ultra hard particle steel knives will lose that insanely sharp edge somewhat quickly,but will hold a still very sharp edge for an equally insanely long time. This suits me just fine.

Is it true that the HAP40 won't maintain its sharpest edge for very long? How does it compare in this regard to AS steel? Should the home chef who likes to keep the sharpest edge possible prefer something else?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:06 am 

bagadonuts wrote:In the reviews of the HAP40 210mm gyuto, Steve from Castro Valley, CA says:

It’s no secret that ultra hard particle steel knives will lose that insanely sharp edge somewhat quickly,but will hold a still very sharp edge for an equally insanely long time. This suits me just fine.

Is it true that the HAP40 won't maintain its sharpest edge for very long? How does it compare in this regard to AS steel? Should the home chef who likes to keep the sharpest edge possible prefer something else?

I believe this is what is said about ALL PM steels. Looses the "off the stones" sharpness pretty quickly, but retains about 90% sharpness for a LONG time.

Mowgs

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:23 am 

I was curious about this steel too. What I really want is a steel that can take the sharpest edge possible, but care less about insane edge retention. Frankly I need the sharpening practice. In the near future I want to get either a nakiri or gyuto. But I'm not sure whether AS, white #2 or this HAP40 would be better.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:49 am 

Yeah I'm a little obsessed with keeping a razor edge all the time also which was also why I'm more interested in it taking an edge rather than holding an edge. I just strop it after each use and that maintains the just off the stones edge for quite some time. I'm not referring to hap40, I only have vg10, 19c27 and white #2.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:23 am 
Forum Moderator

Telecide - take a good look at the Kohetsu Blue #2 Gyuto 210. It gets silly sharp quickly on the stones and has a ton of performance for the price.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:39 am 

Yeah if the blue #2 is anything like the White #2, should be real easy to sharpen and just regular stroping keeps it razor sharp.

Page 3 of 4 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next