It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:14 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Kohetsu HAP40 gyuto recommendations?
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 6:57 am 

I do an absurd amount of prep, both veggie and meat everyday (very high volume fine dining restaurant). So I'm sure even my HAP40 will need the stones more than once a week. What are the practical differences between the shapton glass and shapton pro? Would one be superior for use at work?

Also, what about stropping? Would it be worth it for me to buy some horsebutt (not now but in the somewhat near future)? One of my coworkers is a big knife nerd and even he doesn't know anyone who actually does it.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:17 am 

I cant speak on the pro vs. Glass; however, I will say the 5k pro is an amazing stone that leaves a great polish while keeping a fair amount of bite. I picked up a few strops and compounds not too long ago and have found I dont really use them too much. I'm not certain how this will apply to the hap40, for all knives are different, but my go to edge lately is finishing with a small amount of swipes on an 8k stone after going to town with the 5k and skipping the strops. You might want a strop in place of a honing steel, or just use a ceramic rod between touch ups. Needless to say, the best bet for finding what works best for your knife is experimentation. Hope this helps and have fun.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:21 am 

i dont think any 8k stone is gonna be in my budget at the moment, from what I've seen they are all 120+, no?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:32 am 

Adding to previous parts. I currently own king combo that I really dont like and a 400/1k diamond plate that I will upgrade in the future. It really is true that you save money spending more. There is such thing as a sharpening bug and if you catch it there is a deep rabbit hole. If you are already considering quality stones, avoid cheap stones. In terms of a flattening plate, the earlier you add it to your process, the less work it'll be; however, once the initial work is done its easy to stay on top of it. You may not need one now, but the longer you wait, the more of a PITA it will be.

So many people say the 8k is over kill and the 5k is a fantastic edge. Again, a lot is personal preference and knife steel/grind/thinness behind edge etc. If the 5 is your ladt stone, you wont be disappointed.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:49 am 

The above is right on. As for Glass vs the Pros, I've read that the Glass is better for straights because they're more perfectly consistent, but for kitchen knives it generally seems like people just build a personal preference. I don't think either could be considered a bad choice. What I do know is that the Glass is super thin for easy transport and the Pros come in a nice box. Seriously, that's the only differences that I'm certain are notable.

The HAP40 (and your own abilities) might surprise you. I only sharpen once or twice a week and we see 500-1000 covers a day, though my prep duties are not always that high. When you're getting better edges they last much longer.

You should strop after your 5k because it's easy and it helps. Stropping doesn't have to be a big thing. You can strop on denim, newsprint, even cardboard. Your certainly results will be better when stropping with two different pastes or sprays and then stropping dry, but not by much. Murray Carter expouses almost the exact system you are getting into, going from 1k->6k->Newspaper. You get an economical edge that holds up a while and cuts great.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 5:59 am 

Kitchen knives go Shapton Pro.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 5:48 am 

There is a highly recommend kitayama 8k stone for around 75 dollars. Also, check out the 8k post going on right now in the sharpening section, lots of experts are chiming in with great info.

Page 2 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2