It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:59 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 5 of 6 [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Kohetsu HAP40 Gyuto 240mm has landed
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 3:06 am 

Perfect! I mean both the pic and the profile. Exactly what I was looking for.

Thanks! Drink a bunch of water and take an Advil and a multivitamin before you go to bed.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 3:18 am 

LOL! No problem man.
Gonna hit my half-century later this month. Have a crazy-arsed plan to give up the grog and smokes. Might even drag the ol' rowing machine out of mothballs...
One thing's for sure - with these new knives I just HAVE to hit the veg market hard and regular. Them piggies going to haf'ta hide too.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 3:36 am 

yep, that's exactly what it is. no rush!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:15 pm 

Which petty is that? Looks great!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:09 pm 

This one, Boss Lady. Tanaka 150mm.
Cleverly balanced by using a very light wood (Ho?) for the handle. I'm looking forward to trying it out this weekend.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:45 am 

Thanks! Looks like a great knife for the money. Really, I'm jealous of all 3 (although I've experienced the wonders of powdered steel with my Takamura).

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:13 am 

emoclaus, I had a bash at some choil snaps for you. Hope they are good enough:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:46 pm 

I have a question for ya if you don't mind. Where is the balance point on this knife? I have a 210 artifex western handle and the balance point is about right on the top of the handle. I have some wa handled knives but they aren't gyutos. I want to purchase the 240mm Kohetsu hap40 for my new workhorse but am not sure if I want to get the western handled now (which looks really beautiful) or if I should wait for the wa handled version. I have never handled a 240mm gyuto, or a wa handled gyuto at all. I like the thought of the knife being slightly blade heavy, as well as having a wa handled knife as my workhorse, but at the same time wonder if balance that the western handled may have is also desirable. It will be seeing a lot of use at work so I want to know which one may be more comfortable for heavy use. I know the best answer is to buy both :P

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:40 pm 

Delone;
Balance is right in front of the steel ferrule.
Nice knife!!

Douglas

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:01 pm 
Forum Moderator

I have DerekT's 240mm Kohetsu HAP40 here for a new pair of shoes, and a conversion!

Excellent handle F&F on this one, no sharp edges, no proud tangs, etc. The handle/tang/bolster is all nice and flush as it should be; gonna be a shame to remove the bolster and convert this one to a wa! Spine is nicely polished and seems to be rounded, but the edge of the rounding where it meets the blade face just needs a hair more rounding. The choil was cleanly done, but needs a little more rounding, but no where near as bad as other Japanese knives I have seen! I would say a solid 9/10 F&F wise!

Choil shot. I cut some sweet potatoes with it tonight. There was a bit of steering, but the edge is also like 80/20, too. Besides the steering, it went thru pretty well. Derek wants this to be like the AS Laser, so I will be thinning this one out a touch more.

Page 5 of 6 [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next