It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:17 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Kohetsu Gyuto abuse...
PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:14 pm 

I know it's not a good idea to abuse a knife. But I wanted to see what it would take to chip the edge. So first it was thanks giving turkey...I was cautious not to cut directly on bone, but did nick a few bones around the breast meat. I didn't succeed in chipping the edge.

Yesterday at work I had to slice through a roll of frozen pancetta. The knife worked very well. If I was more cautious with my slicing motions I probably wouldn't have chipped the edge. It took a hard pushing but it did cut it so well...Much better than my Shun or those darn cheap serrated edges.

So now I have a chipped Kohetsu :) I'm thinking instead of spending big bucks on new stones to send it out to Ken Scwhartz and tell him to give it the royal treatment.

Post subject: Re: Kohetsu Gyuto abuse...
PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:31 pm 
Site Admin

I wish all my customers were happy to chip their knife. hahahhah

Show us the knife edge after you get it back from Ken. He's really good.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 2:00 am 
Forum Moderator

I want to see a pic of the knife now! We need before and after shots!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:51 pm 
Site Admin

+1 :)

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:04 pm 

I just touched up the chips...They came out easily...however I did manage to change the edge a bit. So if I can get a before and after photos taken by Ken...maybe he can show off how I screwed up the blade with my lackluster sharpening skills. I used a somewhat dished fine stone to fix things. The scratch pattern is noticeable. She push cuts paper fine...

I'm still trying to get rid of that unsightly line across the blade...It doesn't seem like a burr I just put a more accute bevel on as a result of having a slightly dished stone.

I'm going to try calling Mr. Schwartz soon. I'd really like to see how he sharpens my blade. Hopefully he can personally show me what I need to do to keep my edge. He's about a 2 hour drive from here...It would probably be cheaper to simply ship the knife to him. But if he'd be kind enough to let observe his work that'd be a plus.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:09 pm 
Forum Moderator

By all means before and after shots. I'll take before and after shots too, but it's always good to have a shot from my customer as verification of what it started out like. As they say 'Pics or it didn't happen' :)

I'd be pleased to put a new edge on it. Preferably one optimized for it's intended use - not optimized for cutting frozen pancetta LOL.

I'll give it the full treatment 'royal', starting from chip repairs on up. I can go with a natural or synthetic stone finish with or without compounds.

Looking forward to doing this.

---
Ken

Give me a call at 209 612 2790 and we can get this going ...

Ken

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:54 pm 
Forum Moderator

Umberto - enjoyed the chat today!

If anyone else needs their knives sharpened - from very basic to 'spa treatments' do feel free to contact me.

---
Ken

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ]