It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:41 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 4 of 7 [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Kohetsu blue paper #2, 210mm gyuto in the air.
PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:34 am 

Boostfed wrote:How easy would it be for a handle maker on here to put a wa handle on that? I actually like it BUT wish it as Western handle with a bolster, just never been a fan of these handles..eh just me though The knife looks great though

Tim can do it. tim-johnson-f26.html

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 4:03 am 
Forum Moderator

BOOSTFED <> As JEFF states, TAZ575 can execute that conversion easily.

I am confused though as to you wouldn't just buy the Blue Super Wa<--link as @$170 that has to come really close to TAZ's conversion price + Wa + the s/h. Assuming, they are the same grinds, as one would considering they're the same line, the only difference is the one point Hrc spread & I can't imagine you would be so dedicated to B#2 over Blue Super.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:40 am 
Forum Moderator

Yes, I can do the conversion ($15 conversion plus $55 Wa non stabilized handle), so it would be the same price as the stock AS Kohetsu Wa. You would get the custom handle though for the price of the stock Wa handle on the Kohetsu. The stock Wa on the Kohetsu's is nice though!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:40 am 

Lol i was just asking a question, I would rather have the AS steel Kohetsu THOUGH I have been trying to get a knife in basically every steel I can, so far I have VG10, SG2, White #1 and #2, Aogami Super, Sk4 and Sk5, 52100, Swedish Carbon(Shigefusa) , testing out the Sukenari Ginsan steel, MBS-26 ,etc etc etc. :p

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:44 pm 

I tend to agree about bolsterless Western handles. They just look wrong to me, and I'd take a wa preferentially. However, blue #2 at that price (it looks like it'll take about the same amount to get a thicker wa-handled Kajihara Kurouchi, and about $45 more to get a bolstered yo-handled stainless-clad Tetsuhiro) is a great deal, and might be enough to get me to try that handle.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 4:02 pm 
Forum Moderator

Ordered one, what a shock :)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 4:13 pm 

Good job Tim! You need another Knife this week. I wonder how long it will take you to convert it to a Wa handle? Temperature is warming up and you will be out in your shop before you know it. Spring is coming ! BB

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 4:22 pm 
Forum Moderator

I've been in my shop a bit :) Got a saya finished/packed up today to go out, waiting on the customers address (forgot to get it beforehand!). Working on a handle for a Ulu blade, doing some more work tomorrow morning for a bit when I get out of work and tomorrow evening.

Also ordered the AS Laser 270mm suji and Tanaka R2 240 wa w/o handles, so this Blue #2 210mm hay have it's original handle for a while :) I still have the Sab 52100 Artifex here, as well as the Goko 210mm Damascus and 240mm Hammered to play with as well. The Goko's cut really well, haven't played with the Sab Artifex yet.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 4:36 pm 

Is the Sab 52100 Artifex thinner behind the edge than the standard Artifex? That would be a nice bonus if it is. BB

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 4:42 pm 
Forum Moderator

Nope, same edge thickness. Debating if I want to laser mine out or do more of a Workhorse grind to it...gonna convert to a Wa handle and call it the WaSabi knife!!! LOL.

Page 4 of 7 [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next