It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:57 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Kohetsu Blue #2
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 4:51 pm 

This has been a knife that's been on my radar. Deciding between this and the hap40 cos I'm not a high volume user so I'm more interested in its ability to take a good edge and it's cutting characteristics compared to the Kohetsu hap40 or the Kohetsu AS knives. Is anyone able to do a comparative review or just a review of the Kohetsu Blue 2? Thanks

Post subject: Re: Kohetsu Blue #2
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:39 pm 
Forum Moderator

Ray, I have the HAP40 and Blue #2 210 Gyuto right now for videos. I'll give you my thoughts after trying them both out this evening. I have already used the HAP40 a bit - it's quite nice.

The F&F and handle are nicer on the HAP40 line, especially the handle, with the metal bolster. HAP40 was sharper OOTB.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:42 pm 

Thanks Steve, Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

To this mix I'd also add the Takamura Migaki R2. The height is still short but the bottom of the handle is higher on the blade giving your fingers a few more mm clearance I think compared to the rest of the knives I mentioned. This might give the perception of a taller knife.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:57 pm 
Forum Moderator

Yes, that's an accurate perception on your part about the perceived blade height. A thinner handle and/or smaller neck will give you more effective clearance and make a given knife seem a little taller.

I think the Migaki R2 warrants serious consideration as well. I've never handled one, but I get the impression it's even thinner than the HAP40 knives and the handle appears to be slightly slimmer, but that's just a guess.

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ]