It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:29 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Knives for Lefties
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 1:29 pm 

At the moment there really isn't a place here for fellow lefties here so I'd like to start one up just so people like me have a place here......

I'd like to ask experts out here and most preferably the lefties who have bought from CKTG and have been using their knives.

this will be a great tool for myself and other people like me who's looking into a great knife. then when i have enough cash i'll buy whatever i've decided on. i've already actually bookmarked a bunch of knives that i'd like for myself ranging from what steel, brand, kind of knife and pricing.... but i'd like to have a 2nd opnion.....

Can we start with non-custom knives that can be used by lefties OOTB from gyutos, debas, yanagis etc. ?

what brand they are, and what kind handles they use, the grind if it's 50/50, 60/40, 70/30, price....since these are what usually what we'd wanna talk about......

the rest of the minor details like steels and other things that can be found by reading the other threads / topics out here don't have to be mentioned since it's all the same for both righties and lefties, it all comes down to preferences.

i'm new here and i've pretty much never held a "real" japanese knife before. i am however a graduate of culinary school (in my country of The Philippines) and have been reading up on hours upon hours of stuff about japanese knives in other forums and this one of course.

there really isn't much of a selection of knives out here other than folks actually buying them off of websites like CKTG and then marking up on these knives then selling it out to people like me.

advanced thank yous to all of you.

Post subject: Re: Knives for Lefties
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 4:51 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Franz,

We just got some left handed specific Yanagis and Deba in for the store. It's the Kaneshige line you can find here:

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/kakn2.html

They're really nice and made with Ginsanko (silver 3) steel.

There are a bunch of others that work well for lefties. I'll challenge some of the other guys here to list them.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 5:23 pm 
Forum Moderator

Well, any 50/50 bevel knife with an octagon or western handle will work ambidextrous:

Moritaka:
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/moritaka-knives.html

Takeda:
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/takeda-knives.html

Richmond:
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/richmondknives.html

Kikuichi:
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/kikuichi-knives.html

Konosuke:
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/konosuke-knives.html

Those are some of my favorites, but I'll let Aaron, the other oddball.. er umm.. LEFTY, give his recommendations. :mrgreen: (kidding about the oddball thing, although, a bunch of us are) :D

With great sharpness comes great responsibility.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 3:01 am 

great list! thanks!

i'll check them out. will wait to see what the others have to say.

=D

if only all 50/50 bevel knives actually had an ambidextrous handle. it would definitely help widen my choices just a tiny bit more. lol.

some of the knives i wanted will really need a new handle, which is fine.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 2:35 pm 
Forum Moderator

Well I would be remiss if I didn't mention Nubatama knives. Most unusually, the knifemaker himself IS left handed! Personally I'm ambidexterous but task specifically I do food prep mostly right handed (and eat left handed - a confused childhood). Mark has one Black steel Nubatama yanagi in stock at the moment and I can special order other left handed knives from this maker in both white steel and blue #2 steel too. For Western style Japanese knives, a 50/50 grind or a regrind to a left handed bias is fairly easily accomplished, but for left handed grinds as opposed to 50/50 grinds, some 'steering' may occur. This is just a fact of life for lefties. He can put a neutral handle on (eg octagonal shape) or has available a left handed 'D' shaped handle too. Most makers will charge a premium for left handed knives as much as a 50% markup being typical. His markup is 30%. We can also order these knives without handles and put a custom handle on them.

---
Ken

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 2:44 pm 
Forum Moderator

Well I would be remiss if I didn't mention Nubatama knives. Most unusually, the knifemaker himself IS left handed! Personally I'm ambidexterous but task specifically I do food prep mostly right handed (and eat left handed - a confused childhood). Mark has one Black steel Nubatama yanagi in stock at the moment and I can special order other left handed knives from this maker in both white steel and blue #2 steel too. For Western style Japanese knives, a 50/50 grind or a regrind to a left handed bias is fairly easily accomplished, but for left handed grinds as opposed to 50/50 grinds, some 'steering' may occur. This is just a fact of life for lefties. He can put a neutral handle on (eg octagonal shape) or has available a left handed 'D' shaped handle too. Most makers will charge a premium for left handed knives as much as a 50% markup being typical. His markup is 30%. We can also order these knives without handles and put a custom handle on them.

---
Ken

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 2:55 pm 

Who is the knifemaker who makes your Nubatama knives? And where can we get more information, such as reviews, of "black steel?"

“If one really wants to be master of an art, technical knowledge of it is not enough. One has to transcend technique so that the art becomes an ‘artless art’ growing out of the Unconscious.” Eugen Herrigel

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 3:28 pm 
Site Admin

Yea Ken, tell us who makes these knives so I won't get embarassed when people ask me this question and I have to say "they won't tell me". :)

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 7:13 pm 

Maybe the Japanese don't want to admit that a woman forges the Nubatama knives. :lol:

And don't forget to give us a little more detail on this mysterious black steel. Its not like we're asking for a map to King Solomon's mine!!!

“If one really wants to be master of an art, technical knowledge of it is not enough. One has to transcend technique so that the art becomes an ‘artless art’ growing out of the Unconscious.” Eugen Herrigel

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 4:52 am 

really awesome info on here. always a great read.

Page 1 of 2 [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next