It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 4:21 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Knives as a thank you gift
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:50 pm 

Hello Gang,

For the next purchases, I was thinking of getting 2 knives as a nice and lasting thank you present.

The recipients are not knife fans and don't know quality knives. It should be a treat for them having quality sharp knives and I hope they will swap out their utility knife and use my gift daily. They obviously do not know how to sharpen or strop and in my note, I will offer to do that for them anytime it is needed.

They are both right handed, I am thinking of a gyuto normal size as it will be the go to knife.
DEFINITELY stainless steel and western handle.
I would like that touch of class of having chiseled Kanji instead of laser etched.
Price range $100-$170.

Thanks
Ken

Post subject: Re: Knives as a thank you gift
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:09 pm 

Hi Ken,

Up your budget $5 and you can get the
Takamura Migaki R2 Gyuto 210mm
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/takamura.html

Otherwise these are nice:

Masamoto 210mm Gyuto
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/masamoto- ... 210mm.html

Takamura VG-10 Nashiji Gyuto 210mm
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/tavgnagy21.html

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:55 pm 

My tendency would be to avoid anything too drastically different than what they are used to. The R2 Takamura is pretty hard at 62-63 Rockwell, as well as being a full-on laser type blade as I understand it. I would suggest something a little softer and beefier: it will still be a step up, but less likely to be problematic as long as it is used with a reasonable amount of respect.

The Masamoto gladius suggests might qualify there. That VG-10 Takamura looks like it might not be too fragile from the choil shot, but it is hard to tell without handling one. The spine thickness is low but as long as it thickens out a bit behind the edge it would seem like a reasonable choice. Lower down on the totem pole, the Fujiwara FKM and Tojiro DP are pretty standard picks...the Suisin western might have better fit & finish for a gift, though: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/suisingyuto2.html. Still thin but a bit softer and so it should be more forgiving. None of the last three of the touch of class you are looking for, however. Take this all with a grain of salt because I haven't handled all of these myself, so I am going based on published information, trying to find something that fits your description of the recipients.

Questions: you mention looking for two knives and list $100-170 as the price range. Were you thinking of that as the price for each knife? Were you looking for two gyutos or one gyuto and one something else?

Last edited by estayton on Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:57 pm 
Forum Moderator

Ken, +1 on the Masamoto VG 210 and Takamura VG-10 that gladius mentioned. The Takamura will be lighter, thinner and more nimble than the Masamoto with a slimmer handle as well. I think it has a more interesting and "Japanese" feel to it than the others, with the hammered, Nashiji finish.

I'd be tempted to pick the Takamura VG-10 for them over the Migaki R-2. The R-2 is VERY thin and the steel is harder, although it'll have the best edge retention of all the knives mentioned.

I also think the Takayuki Western Grand Chef 210 would be a great fit: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/tagrch21gy.html. I like the AEB-L steel more than the Masamoto VG and it'll be easier to sharpen IMO. This knife has a little more belly at the tip and is a more Western friendly profile IMO. It's a really nice knife and a very good performer.

Finding engraved Kanji might be a tall order, given your other requirements.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:03 pm 

Should you consider wa handle, a very nice gyuto for the price and the kanji is engraved. Kaneshige Stainless Wa-Gyuto 210 http://www.chefknivestogo.com/kastwagy210.html

A good bang for the buck western handled Gyuto, Suisin Inox Gyuto 210mm http://www.chefknivestogo.com/suisingyuto2.html

A good inexpensive starter knife for any home cook. Tojiro DP Gyuto 210mm http://www.chefknivestogo.com/tojiro-dp-f-8081.html

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:09 pm 

Thank you for the replies and recommendations!

VERY good finds guys. Even the stamped Kanji on 2 top contenders gladius provided.
VG 10 Nashiji seems to be the top choice. Even has the chiseled kanji. The only reservation I have is the recipients will not know the value of hammered steel, and just like the blackened finish on another process, might actually be off putting to them.

Yup, of course there are Fujiwara FKM or Tojiro DP as classic first time knives as a back up. I may even have to do that because to lower their price point so I can add a third knife in the order.
I literally salivated when I saw the Mikagi R2!
I totally agree that would be 'too much for them' but a great find and recommendation for me, thanks.

Estayton, My range is per knife and to make it simple for me, I was thinking two identical gyutos. They are going to 2 families who don't even know each other.

Cheers

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:33 pm 

After using hammered steel they may realize the value of it :)
certainly a lasting present with a touch of class.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:17 pm 

Elfstone wrote:Estayton, My range is per knife and to make it simple for me, I was thinking two identical gyutos. They are going to 2 families who don't even know each other.

That makes sense. I had thought they would be going to the same place which is why I asked. I have to say I'm with gladius on the hammered look, personally, but I can see how it might be off-putting to somebody. You know these people and we don't.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:23 am 

gladius,
After using hammered steel they may realize the value of it :)
certainly a lasting present with a touch of class.

That is a very accurate synopsis. Thank you again for the help. Done

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:03 am 

What happens after a month and it is time to sharpen the knife?

Page 1 of 2 [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next