It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:50 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 2 [ 14 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: knife to break down fish?
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:23 pm 

Adam Marr wrote:Neither the Glestain or Fujiwara are single beveled.

There you have it!

Thanks Adam!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:36 pm 

Get a Deba. They tend to be pricey. But you can find makers that do great work with ginsanko or other stainless. I have a tanaka and other cheap one. Lights out difference. If you have budget. Try the option that mark recommends.

Cleaning fish I usually find myself. With only one knife. And debas are made for punishment and they can endure itm

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:53 pm 

there are plenty of videos on the video section in the forums that illustrate proper technique using a deba. they have it pretty figured out.

Just size and budget will be in question.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 4:48 am 

I agree with the others about purchasing a Deba. I used to just use a victorinox that was given to me with a 50/50 bevel but now I can never turn back to it. It may not be what your used to, but I cannot prefer a better suited fillet knife. That being said, Deba's are not for hacking, and are to be used with care. Most fish I break down with my Suisin Inox Deba, and than finish the fillet (trimming, de-boning) with my Hankotsu. But like I said, nothing works as well as a single-bevel/edge knife when going for yield and a great looking fillet.

Page 2 of 2 [ 14 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2