It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:11 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Knife Storage
PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:47 am 

Hi All,

I have been searching high and low for an attache style case for my knives when they aren't in the roll.

Something along the lines of....

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001664940/ref ... S3CGJG2299

Does anyone know where these style cases exist for a reasonable amount. I'm blown away by the cost some sellers are charging for what seems like a simple box. I would prefer not to get the Victorinox one that is actually, affordable just based on aesthetics. Would it probably be cheapest to build my own?

Also, I am aware of the Messermeister suitcase option.

Thanks as always for any leads.

Post subject: Re: Knife Storage
PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 5:29 am 

What is your longest knife?

Home depo and harbor freight sell a hard "breif case" for tools.. they are easily customized and only about 20.00. Fit up to 270 ish suji

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 5:59 am 

Careful shopping on eBay can score you a Zero Halliburton case for a reasonable price. Put in new foam and you can customize it to your kit.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:13 am 

Use a toolchest. Many options out there. I have 5+ to store all mine. The big ones.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:43 am 

Pretty much the sentiment here is don't search for knife cases. Think outside the box a bit.

A search for "padded case" brings up quite a few options on Amazon. A normal tool box might also be an option if you already have sayas/blade guards for your knife bag. Heck, diced foam is pretty cheap as well and you can turn just about anything into a knife case that won't let them rattle around.

If you aren't going to be toting it around then an actual tool chest (even a big roll around if you have enough knives) like 4-K mentioned would be awesome. I'm thinking the big ones like some of these: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_ ... tool+chest

I would imagine you could fit a few knives in some of those. Maybe some grippy drawer liners (the no-slip mesh stuff) in the bottom to keep them from sliding around and you're in business. ;)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:40 pm 

Thanks guys. You have echo my own thoughts on this problem, I know of the camera cases at harbor freight.Thank you for the suggestions. I will probably start a build project for this.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:40 pm 

Post pics of what you come up with. Lots of people are looking for something similar.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:27 pm 

Looks like a custom build, the aluminum cases at Harbor Freight would be fine, but they are so ugly haha. I wouldn't be able to leave that out where my fiance could see it or it would end up stashed somewhere I will never find it.

I think I will use cedar wood for the case itself. There are plastic knife holders to be had on Amazon. I will get around to this sooner or later. Im pricing raw materials now.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:12 pm 

Musical instrument cases are another option. They often have locking keys.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 5:01 am 

I like to leave stones in the open air as much as possible. Something inclosed, as long as it doesn't get to hot, is OK I suppose. My go to stones are almost always in water or wrapped in damp rags.

Page 1 of 2 [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next