It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:15 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Knife Specialization?
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 2:31 am 

So I read the "Konosukes came in" thread the other day and had to send it to my girlfriend to show I'm not the only one. Then a day or two later I ended up ordering one. The reviews of them are were just too universally positive not too. Even in one of the reviews of another knife the guy (Steve?) referred to the HD as the standard for a good grind.

So the plan is to make that my main knife. But I also have the very similar 19c27 Goku Damascus. And there is also a HUGE carbon steel Suien Chinese cleaver. My main tasks are to cut veggies, meat, and break down chickens. The Cleaver is probably the hardest at around 62~63 and I have it sharpened to under 15*. I think the Goku is around 60 and it's sharpened to about 15*. The Konosuke is still fresh OOTB so I'm not sure of the edge angle, but I think it's supposed to be around 61 Rockwell. There is also a cheap but usable Forshner and a cheap Henckels knife block set from back before the knife crazy.

So that's my question. Which knives should dedicate to which tasks? I'd like to get the most use out of the really nice knives without prematurely damaging them.

Post subject: Re: Knife Specialization?
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 4:27 am 

Opinions vary. More important than harness, steel type, and bevel angle is user technique.

For some users a Konosuke or Goko Damascus can handle pretty much anything, for most users they are a little too delicate and unforgiving of bad technique for gourds, or breaking down a chicken etc. What you might consider doing is keeping the Forschner and Henckles with ~20° angles on them for anything YOU don't feel confident using your Japanese knives on, then sharpen the Japanese knives as acutely as you prefer for everything else.

Do remember though, with thin knives the grind is contributing a lot to the performance so you have a little extra wiggle room to leave your bevel angle a little more acute to add a bit of resilience. Conversely, even with an obtuse angle on the edge, the thinness in the grind will still leave the edge somewhat more susceptible to chipping than tougher steels and thicker knives.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 10:48 am 
Forum Moderator

+1 to what Cedar said. A couple of HRC points between knives shouldn't be your concern. The grind, thinness at the edge and edge bevel/micro bevel angles, and user technique will have much more effect on how robust the edge is and what tasks a knife can handle. Keep your more robust, softer steel knives around for the rough stuff.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 2:08 pm 
Forum Moderator

I'll add that none of your current knives are what I'd consider real hard.....when you get blue/white steels into the mid 60's, powdered steels into the upper 60's.....then you're talking HARD and brittle. I have performed all of the tasks you mentioned using any number of knives with similar geometry, steel properties, etc. with no ill effects.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 3:33 am 

Thanks guys! I think I'll take cedarhouse's advice, at least until get all Martin Yan on my chickens. :)

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]