It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:46 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 3 of 3 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject: Re: knife set for newbie?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:52 pm 
Forum Moderator

I'll be putting the Kohetsu Blue #2 210 and 240 head to head this evening, but in short, the 210 is a thinner more laser style blade versus the 240.

On the carbon, yes mainly it's moisture on the blade that is the main concern. As a patina (thin layer of oxidation) builds on the core steel at the edge, the reactivity will typically lessen and slow down a bit.

All knives have their own personality. You need to think about YOUR priorities and preferences and pick something that most closely matches those AND/OR that you really resonate with. Sometimes you just really dig a certain knife versus some others.

Takamura R-2: thinnest blade that glides through product the best (the others aren't far behind), most refined F&F, all stainless, highest cost, best edge retention.
Tanaka Ginsan - most rustic, lower level of F&F, needs finishing work OOTB, lighter Wa handle, all stainless, longer, taller blade.
Kohetsu Blue #2 - Very good F&F on blade, utilitarian Yo (Western) handle that's larger than the Takamura, great easy to sharpen Blue #2 core steel, lowest cost, stainless cladding over reactive steel core, best ready to go OOTB edge. See my post on the OOTB Takamura R-2 edges.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:01 pm 

I have the tojiro dp and the kohetsu blue #2. The tojiro was my first knife and the kohetsu blue #2 was my 6th. I'd say save time and go straight to the kohetsu blue #2, its a level of order higher for a small amount more and you'll start with a relatively inexpensive knife that doesn't draw attention in a pro kitchen but performs like a knife costing twice as much. The tojiro just didn't get as sharp no matter how I sharpened and drags when cutting through food in comparison to the kohetsu. The kohetsu blue 210 is a laser class knife, thin and slices amazingly well, the 240 is a more robust blade which is probably more suitable for your environment. Don't worry about the reactivity of the blade. I don't bother to baby mine wiping it off all the time and I don't have any reactivity issues. But don't leave it for extended periods of time without wiping it off at least but you don't have to wipe it every 30 secs. Maybe if you're going to step away for about 15 mins or more give it a quick wipe with a damp cloth. I would go through about an hr of prep (home environment) without bothering to wipe but after I'm done cutting I do clean it up.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:07 am 

Thanks for everyone's advice! In the event I go with carbon steel...what if I'm not careful one time and it rusts? Is it salvageable?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:40 am 

Absolutely, accidentally forgetting about a knife and say leaving it out overnight dirty and it starts to rust, it's not the end of the world. A scrubby or some Barkeeper's Friend will clean it right up. It would take lots of flagrant abuse to actually cause it to pit the metal and even then it's not unusable.
You should see some of the refurbs done on some severely abuse knives that some of the guys around here have done!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:58 am 

As said above. Your abuse would have to be impressive to mandate professional attention and epic to render a knife unsalvageable.

The biggest problem is you'll lose the patina on the knife.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 6:06 am 

Hi! So I ended up getting the Takamura Migaki R-2 Gyuto 210mm! Before I start using it..I just want to be sure of care instructions. This knife won't rust or react if left on the board for an extended period of time after cutting wet items, correct? And after I do wash it, I can leave it to air dry?

Thanks for everyone's contribution, help, and advice to helping me find my first knife! Can't wait to use it!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 7:52 am 

I would still recommend wiping it clean and dry after use; although it's a semi stainless core that'll certainly be more forgiving than a carbon, the better care you take of it, the better it will take care of you.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 1:17 pm 

vchin, it is my understanding that you will have no problems. It shouldn't rust or react. But I have seen even stainless steels discolor a bit if left wet for long periods: it is stain-less not stain-free. I usually keep a towel out to wipe it down regardless, so in principle I agree with jmcnelly.

If it were me, I would wipe it down if I were going to leave it for a while (like I finished prep and wanted to cook and eat), and I would give it a quick wipe after washing before air drying. I would not be fastidious about getting all the moisture off, but I wouldn't let pools of water sit around on any knife. But if you leave it wet by accident, it shouldn't hurt it.

Page 3 of 3 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3