It is currently Tue Dec 23, 2014 2:27 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Knife Information
PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:27 pm 

Hello knife addicts,

I'm new to the world of knives and Japanese steel.

However, I've been a butcher for the last 14 years and having completed my first year at The Culinary Institute of America, I'm looking to replace my school's 8inch "german" steel chef's knife with a better workhorse knife.

I've held some 8 to 10inch Japanese knifes at the local store, but was directed to your website while looking up different metal types.

I find the longer knifes have a better balance / hand feel to me as the forearm on my cutting arm is fairly strong / above average.
I was wondering if I could get any information on the type of steel, and care for also any information or comparable knifes, I've spent my entire career with knifes, but my butcher shop we usually got cheap steel due to the amount of against the bone work we do and didn't want to bang up expensive pieces of steel.

Konosuke White #2 Fujiyama Gyuto 270mm

I own an edge pro apex sharpening system, and that Gyuto is in my budget and about the size that is comfortable for me.

Thank you in advance,

A butcher turned cook and hopefully chef.

Post subject: Re: Knife Information
PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:38 pm 
Site Admin

The Konosuke is a great knife.

I think you should take a hard look at the Kohetsu 270 gyuto. Aogami super steel is excellent and this knife will take a great edge and hold it a long time. Nice and light too and very similar to the Konosuke at a lower price: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/koaosu27gy.html

Chefknivestogo New Arrivals

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:31 am 
Forum Moderator

I can certainly second Mark's comment; if you are in the market for a 270 and considering a Fujiyama as a workhorse, the Kohetsu is going to be thinner overall with less reactivity (stainless cladding) and a better core steel. The Fujiyama has better fit and finish overall and a different grind. As a workhorse, both of these knives are at the top of their game IMO. The Kohetsu is your Laser-type workhorse while the Fujiyama is a little more substantial.

Another knife to strongly consider; The Ultimatum HD 270 http://www.chefknivestogo.com/riul270gyhds.html

Semi-stainless steel, gets very sharp, very thin. It's up there with the best of them, it's a lot of blade but still very lightweight for its size.

With great sharpness comes great responsibility.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:32 am 

@ Mark.

The Kohetsu 270mm you just linked to doesn't appear in the Richmond>Kohetsu lineup for some reason. It's also not listed under Hiromoto. In fact, I'm not sure how to find it on your website at all. If you aren't selling many, that may be why.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:34 am 

Oh, ok, they can all be found under Aogami Super>Kohetsu.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:47 am 

You can also find it under "Band Names" Kohetsu also.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:28 am 
Forum Moderator

21K <> Just a little tidbit about the Ultimatum reco. I'm aware you want a large blade, but be aware the Ultimatum comes in around 285mm on the edge while the same profiled knife in the same steel by the original company comes in just under a cm shorter... mine is 276mm. Konosuke...

Both these knives are mono-steel construction w/o a cladding, and said steel is from the g-ds. HD gets nearly as sharp, as easily, as pleasurably w/arguably better edge retention. It does not have the ultimate edge potential of White #2, but you really have to be a fantastically superb sharpener to realize this.

FYI: do not "bang" any of this steel on bone...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:42 am 
Forum Moderator

Thanks Melampus, I actually woke up early this morning to post on this, because I remembered the size of the blade. It was a tad longer than advertised, but again as with all HD's they handle a little better for their size than the average bear. ;)

With great sharpness comes great responsibility.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:35 pm 

An excellent semi-stainless Yo handle Gyuto but not as high cost, maybe a good place to start. http://www.chefknivestogo.com/ichimonjitkc.html

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:22 pm 
Forum Moderator

With a budget like yours....there are a lot of great, great knives.

The Kono you linked to is awesome. If you know what you're getting, no sense recommending against it.

However, as you've only made the first post and no others....perhaps letting us know what draws you to that knife would be helpful in providing additional recommendations.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

Page 1 of 2 [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next