It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:50 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Knife for the wife
PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:53 pm 

My wife has a knife that she really likes. It is the miyabi 600s, from what I can gather its German steel with Japanese profile and western handle. She LOVES the handle, profile seems fine and she doesn't much care about the steel as long as its sharp. Problem is I sharpen it on stones and don't really enjoy sharpening it. I'm wondering if anybody is familiar with the miyabi handle and could recommend some knives that would be similar with harder steel and easier to sharpen. Budget would be limited to 200 but have no problem going cheaper

Post subject: Re: Knife for the wife
PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:02 am 

The Richmond Artifex has a western handle that isn't really similar to the Miyabi but is quite comfortable. Also the AEB-L steel used in these is great from a sharpening standpoint. I've never seen a better knife for the money.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:45 pm 

I thought about the artifex but the work required on it kind of holds me back. The miyabi is pretty light and actually pretty thin. I've been considering the following

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/ictkcgy21.html

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/suisingyuto2.html

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/tojiro-dp-f-8081.html

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/higy21.html

I know the steel is different in all these. Looking to see if people can comment on quality of the handle, f&f. Thanks for your help

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:44 pm 
Forum Moderator

Chris - is the Miyabi 600s handle a little on the smaller side (circumference)? If it is, then I think the handles on your specified knives are more traditionally sized Western style.

Of the knives you listed, the Kikuichi is hands-down the best performer, with the thinnest blade. The Hiromoto is a great knife as well, but it does have a reactive carbon steel edge w/stainless cladding. Both of these should be really nice to sharpen on the stones.

Do you think she would be open to a Wa handle? If so, that opens up other options such as the Sakai Takayuki Damascus Wa 210 Gyuto: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/satadagy210.html. It's light, great looking, all stainless, and has easy to sharpen AEB-L steel at the core.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:20 pm 

I wish she was open to wa handle but can't get her to use my knives to see if she likes it. She's stubborn like that :). I would say the miyabi is a little smaller in diameter in comparison to my Mac Pro but a little longer as well.
Is the tkc considered a laser? Not looking for a crazy thin knife, not a workhorse either though
How semi stainless is the tkc? As good as hd?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:54 pm 
Forum Moderator

I don't think the TKC would be considered a laser, just a good high performance blade with nice grinds. From what I gather reading others' opinions, both the TKC and HD2 are similar in stainless performance. If you clean and wipe dry at the end of a cutting session and don't let them just sit with food/moisture on the blade, they essentially behave like stainless. You might get a gray patina that forms over time.

I haven't held the Hiromoto Gyuto, but their AS Santoku 190 model had a very comfortable handle and feel to it. Not too big, not too small. I'm 5'7" with medium sized hands and it felt immediately comfortable - like when you're shoe shopping and trying on a bunch of different pairs of shoes and you try on a pair that just feels really good.

On a different topic - how do you maintain your Miyabi between sharpenings? The Idahone fine ceramic rod might be a perfect fit for touch ups to extend the time between sharpening sessions.

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]