It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:15 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Knife Block
PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:07 pm 

Can anyone recommend me a decent knife block that is made to handle larger knives with blade depths at or just over two inches and lengths approaching eleven inches. I have been to all the kitchen stores in my town and they all seem to be to short in the depth and length department and I can't seem to find any on the net with specs. What kind of knife block do you own and how big are the knives that you own. I am looking to spend 50-75 dollars on this and it only needs to hold a few large ones and a handful of smaller ones. Let me know what you guys think and thanks in advance for any advice.

Post subject: Re: Knife Block
PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:03 pm 
Forum Moderator

I prefer to use a drawer organizer for my knives. I can get longer knives in the drawer (at least in my cabinets) and secure the drawer with a child lock to keep our grand kids from getting to the knives. I easily have room for a 270 and maybe a 300. The longest knife you'll see in the photos is the 240 Fujiwara/Artifex Wa Gyuto and it's 243 on the edge.

I put grippy shelf liner underneath the wood organizer and then cut a cardboard spacer to put behind the knife tray to keep it from sliding back when the drawer is closed a little too hard. I wish we had those newer soft close drawer slides and cabinet hinges that are now popular. I might see about retro-fitting those if it's possible.

See these photos of my setup:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:44 pm 

3 of these in walnut, 18".
http://benchcrafted.com/Magblok.html
I don't find blocks very useful.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:10 pm 

It may be overkill, but Wusthof makes a 35 slot block that will take up to a wide 12in blade. You can get in online for $100 with free shipping. http://www.metrokitchen.com/product/WU-7235

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:52 pm 

Ron wrote:It may be overkill, but Wusthof makes a 35 slot block that will take up to a wide 12in blade. You can get in online for $100 with free shipping. http://www.metrokitchen.com/product/WU-7235

Yeah that has too many slots that I will never fill but I really appreciate the recommendation. As far as the other recommendations I don't really like the magnetic bars or in the in drawer organizers but they do look cool. I am just having a hard time finding any blocks that have specs and I would assume one of the knife nuts on this forum would be able to solve this.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:14 pm 

I would call or send John a message @ Lonestar Artisans and see if he can help you. http://www.lonestarartisans.com/contact-us/

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:38 pm 

My next purchase may well be the Shun tiered magnetic knife block BB0714. I just like the looks, evocative of a pagoda. Would like to see dimensions before I plunk down the dough though.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:11 pm 
Forum Moderator

You might research the Kapoosh knife blocks. They have little plastic rods instead of slots for free form storage. BB&B has them and Amazon as well. I had a little trouble finding dimensions, but I've played with one at a store and it looked promising.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:01 am 

http://www.chefknivestoyou.com/product/7249.html

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:36 pm 

Bump

Mark can you comment?

Page 1 of 2 [ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next