It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:41 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 2 [ 14 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Knife #2 search
PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:46 pm 
Forum Moderator

This depends on the knife, the user, the user's expectations, etc.

But, for simple conversation purposes:

There are some ceramic honing rods, and glass one's, that are pretty fine. The DMT ceramic one comes to mind....I think it's like 2,000 grit.

Some of the splash and go stones would work....the Shapton GlassStones come to mind. Having a 4,000 grit GS available for touch ups would be nice. I use a 10k Naniwa Superstone like this....if a knife is getting dull and I'm feeling lazy, I splash it with water and strop the knife a few times at a slightly higher angle and it brings the edge back nicely.

A loaded leather/balsa/film strop would work nicely.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:51 pm 

I do feel a little bit of me-buying-a-new-toy going on when I think about a new knife when all I really have to do is get a stone(s). However, that is exactly why I started this thread: to have a bigger conversation with y'all, see what's out there, and what my options are.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:21 pm 

The Idahone ceramic rod is listed as 1200 grit. There are web sights and forums that suggest that is an ANSI rating and it's J rating is close to 3k. I know my Idahone does a good job and feels pretty fine.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:58 am 
Forum Moderator

You won't beat the Idahone for the price. As far as Shaptons go, if you wanted one for touchup, I'd recommend something from the pro series if you don't have a GlassStone base. Shapton Pros are splash-and-go, and also have better height to fit into another stone holder if you don't feel like using the one that is included. I use it sometimes, sometimes I don't, it works great either way.

Small conversation on the Green Brick.... I don't ever really soak that stone. About 1 minute under running water, lap it, splash again and good to go.

Depending on the edge and the steel you are using, 4,000 could be a bit fine for touch-ups. What kind of work are you planning on doing and what kind of knife will you be using will determine what you should be using for touchups IMO. :)

With great sharpness comes great responsibility.

Page 2 of 2 [ 14 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2