It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:37 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Kikuichi TKC
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 6:57 am 

So i have been having a bit of trouble retaining the edge on my Kikuichi tkc 240mm gyuto... I seem to get a pretty sharp edge but then in a few days of hard prep with honing in between it just seems to become dull...When i sharpen i used bester stones i bought in a kit from CKTG. i believe they are the 500, 100, and 3000 grit. It also seems as though i am not getting a steep enough angle on the right side as well...any suggestions ?

Post subject: Re: Kikuichi TKC
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 7:29 am 

Lemme know more about how you sharpen and it'll be easier to help. When you sharpen, do you raise a burr on both sides? Do you know how to create a micro bevel? If I'm not mistaken, the tkc has a 50-50 edge so using the same angle on the right side as the left should solve part of the problem.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:42 pm 
Forum Moderator

Yeah, a little more information would be helpful.

Often times, sudden lose of edge is due to not fully removing a burr and/or wire edge.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:49 pm 

You could be overdoing it if you are touching up with a rod, it usually only takes just a few strokes. Otherwise I'd say your leaving a wire edge on the blade.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:29 pm 

Thanks you all for responding...I am fairly new to the sharpening world. I tend to hold the knife fairly perpendicular to the stone raising it to a 15 degree angle. I start with my 500, then 1000, then 3000 grit stones in that order. I raise the burr on one side run it through the felt block and repeat on the other...then i go to a new stone.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:13 am 

I would start by recommending that you don't go through the whole progression every time. It seems excessive to sharpen a knife @ 500 grit every "few days". It will wear the knife out quickly and cause you to need to thin it out prematurely. It begins to sound like a wire edge/burr in the above post. As my TKC lasts far longer than yours, I ask these questions....

How long do you sharpen on each stone before progressing?

Have you ever tried "flipping" the burr to remove it?

Is your sharpening angle consistent in your estimation?

Another suggestion, FWIW, I use a steel to hone very seldomly, only in an extreme case. I maintain my knives on a strop, it more evenly distributes the impact on the edge and is less harsh than a steel.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:56 am 

I was thinking basically the same thing Dan.

Selseroad> On your 500 grit stone once you raise a burr on one side you need to flip the knife and sharpen until you feel the burr on the other side. At this point start to alternated sides after a few strokes flipping the burr to each side. This will weaken the burr and maybe even abrade the burr on the stone.
After flipping the burr a few time then run the knife through your felt block to get what's left. You only need to do this on your first stone. You should have a very sharp edge on you knife at this point. If not keep working that stone until you do.
You don't have to spend a lot of time on the rest of your stones to refine the edge. You should not need to raise a burr on the rest of your progression, but deburr after each stone just in case. I like to end each stone with a few alternating edge leading strokes with almost now pressure, this tends to leave the edge burr free.
When touching up between sharpenings you can strop your knife on your highest grit stone. If you use a rod make sure it is ceramic, use a very light touch and only a few strokes per side should be necessary.

You don't always need a full progression to sharpen either, if your edge is still intact but dull you can start with your 1k.

Hope some of this made sense.
It wouldn't hurt to watch a few more videos on sharpening via YouTube if you can. Mark has several videos also on the store site.

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ]