It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:50 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 3 of 4 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Kikuichi TKC or Akafusa PM
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 2:37 pm 

Some initial thoughts on the Haruyuki/Akifusa. Blazing sharp out of the box, with phenomenal blade fit and finish. The tapered handle is actually really comfortable in the hammer grip (less relevant for pinch grip, at least with my hand size). Blade balance on the 240 is more forward than on the video of the 2010. Balance is about 1 inch in front of the bolster (which has a nice shape and weld) right at a pinch grip. The F&F on the handle is pretty good, but not perfect. The pakka wood isn't polished perfectly all the way around and can feel the tang slightly at the bottom of the grip in one spot. Not major, but that is my only gripe so far. The blade is nice and stiff. almost no flex which gives inspires confidence in the cut. Still very early (with many different types of veggies to parse yet), but really liking this knife so far. Not to mention an HRC of 63-65 and fully stainless to go along with great feel and french geometry. I've seen a couple of people prefer this to the TKC, but majority prefer the Kikuichi so really pumped to handle it today. Will post some videos and impressions of both after a week or so of use.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 2:50 pm 

I wanted to post one caveat: I've played with some other nicer Japanese steels (Masahiro, Misono, Tamahagane and MAC), though the all of my day-to-day experience has been with Global, Shun and Henckels. So my perspective is probably not as refined as many on this forum.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:23 pm 

OK, so just got the TKC. I can see why it garners so much praise. It just feels amazing in my hand and incredibly nimble. Out of the box, the blade was very sharp though the polish was not as refined with a little more tooth than the Akifusa. F&F are similar though I give the nod to the Kikuichi in that regard. Put both through half an onion and the Akifusa was actually the smoother knife though a more refined sharpening of the TKC could def change that. In terms of feel, the TKC is just unbelievable. Can't quite explain it, but it's so natural that you could almost walk out your front door and never realize that you are still holding the thing. My sharpening skills aren't good enough to make me feel comfortable messing around with either, so going to take them over to Korin (right around the corner which is nice) for a post-factory tune-up and update on thoughts.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:25 pm 
Site Admin

I encourage you to learn to sharpen. Many of us get more enjoyment out of sharpening than using the knives. Also it will save you money, extend the life of your knives (Korin uses a belt sander usually) and removes hair from your arm. :)

I fixed the video above. You need to strip out everything except the identifying code. So in this case it was KBoczHGEyQ8

Chefknivestogo New Arrivals

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:44 pm 

Awesome, thanks!

Part 2 of the video:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:46 pm 

And here is the TKC vs. a slightly firmer tomato:
Part 1:

Part 2:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:15 pm 

Very nice Chip, you have a great combination there! I would really encourage you to learn to sharpen too. I gained a much greater respect and feel for my knives after learning to sharpen. I find it very enjoyable to sharpen and if I can do it....as they say.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:32 pm 

Jeff, I definitely want to become adept at sharpening. I've been considering an edge pro. Any thoughts on the system? Otherwise, I'm a bit hesitant to continue sharpening without some real teaching (other than online videos)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:45 pm 

I have no experience with it but there are several guys on this forum that use the Edge Pro and love it, but make no mistake, there is a learning curve with it too. Ask a few questions on the edge pro forum, those guys will give you very good information about it.
I can tell you from experience, sharpening free hand really isn't that hard. There are little tricks and nuances you learn with experience but it doesn't take long to learn to put a very serviceable edge on a knife. I'm sure you have a few old knives you could practice on before you take on the new toys. You have knives that are reasonably easy to sharpen too.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 2:05 am 

I do. Have a number of lesser blades of varying quality that I wouldn't mind dicking around with. Will continue the conversation on the sharpening thread

Page 3 of 4 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next