It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:37 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Kikuichi Performance TKC V. Kikuichi Elite Carbon?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:51 pm 

Can anyone tell me the virtues of these knives in terms of durability, value, and performance in a professional environment? I would need these knives to do-it-all in the prep kitchen as well as on the line so specialized knives really don't have a place in my roll at the moment.
I understand that the TKC is semi-stainless whereas the Elite Carbon is, well, not.
I'm am referring specifically to the 240mm gyuto knives of each line.
Also if you don't recommend these knives at all, can you offer an example that you do prefer <$220 USD?

Thank you guys for offering your expertise in this subject.

Post subject: Re: Kikuichi Performance TKC V. Kikuichi Elite Carbon?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:52 pm 

P.S. I am right handed and have large-ish hands, if that is important at all.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:09 pm 
Forum Moderator

The TKC has better steel and better geometry. Handles are comparable, F&F is comparable, profiles are similar.

TKC wins every time and is among the best $200, if not the best, gyuto on the planet.

With all the recent additions to this price range, there are others that are very close to the, and perhaps the same, performance of the TKC though.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:20 am 
Site Admin

PS the TKCs arrived in the US office of Kikuichi so I should have them Monday. Sorry for the long wait. We're getting 210s and 240s this time.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:42 am 

Adam Marr wrote:TKC wins every time and is among the best $200, if not the best, gyuto on the planet.

Wow Adam, I did not know you loved the TKC so much; I have one and I love it as well. I don't own that many brands or various types of steel, four or so, but my TKC takes the best edge the fastest and I am an amateur sharpener. The first time I sharpened it I could shave my arm hair in three or four minutes, and that was only on a 1K, if I tried this with another one of my knives it would be a big no go. I think there is a reason they don't advertise what kind of steel it is because if they did I would probably only buy this kind of steel. I am gonna look at some Kikuichi's right now for that matter.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:35 am 
Forum Moderator

I had a Carbon Elite 240mm as my first Japanese knife. I got it several years ago, but the handle F&F was spotty with sharp edges on the handle. The TKC 240mm I had here recently for a new handle had MUCH better F&F and a nicer grind to it. The steel in the Carbon Elite is very well heat treated, even if it's a "less pure" steel than the White or Blue series (SK4 IIRC??). It took and held a wicked edge and sharpened up easily.

Based on the handle F&F and geometry, easily the TKC for a pro kitchen environment.

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]