It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:33 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Kikuichi Performance TKC
PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:58 pm 

Can anyone tell me the bevel that comes on the Kikuichi Performance TKC? 90/10 80/20 70/30????

Thanks Dave.

Post subject: Re: Kikuichi Performance TKC
PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:58 pm 
Forum Moderator

Adam should know. I believe the actual blade grind is 50/50, and they're pretty thin at the edge, which makes for a small edge bevel. It would be very easy to make it a 50/50 the 1st time you sharpen it. Just grind more on the smaller bevel side until they're both about the same size.

Unless it's extreme, I've gotten to where I don't pay too much attention to the edge bevel on double bevel knives. It doesn't affect the thinner knives much, if at all, in practice - at least in my experience. If a knife does steer a bit, changing the bevel ratio at the 1st sharpening can usually fix the issue. You may not always be after a 50/50 edge bevel, depending on the grind geometry of the blade, but that's an entirely different discussion for the real experts here to debate.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 5:42 pm 

Thank you Steve,

I wasn't sure as it is not listed on the webpage. Looking at it under magnification doesn't help as the grind is uneven. I want to touch up the edge but wasn't sure of the bevel. I was reading that Japanese knives are meant to be ground the way the knife was intended and that you were not supposed to put a 50/50 grind on them. I just don't want to screw it up. LOL

I will wait for Adams response.

Thank You.

PS. Love the knife.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 6:30 pm 
Forum Moderator

Glad you like the knife!

If you actually have the knife, then one way to check the grind geometry is to use a very straight metal ruler or some other very straight object like a carpenter's square. I hold the knife with the edge up towards the ceiling, the place the ruler against one side, near the heel and sight down that side against something bright. See what the gap/grind looks like when pressing the ruler against the flat part near the spine. Do the same for the other side. This usually allows me to see any major differences in the grind on each side. If they're pretty close, then the knife has more of a 50/50 blade grind, and a 50/50 edge bevel should be just fine.

Without opening a big can of worms, edge bevels other than 50/50 are ground to enhance the perceived sharpness of a blade, or to complement blades that are not ground 50/50 to help minimize steering issues. At least, that's how I understand it :-). If I'm wrong on that - others will be along to set me straight :-).

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:07 pm 
Site Admin

The edge is supposed to be more or less even. But like many many knives they're are finished on a belt and so whatever side the grind last will have a little more grind. Approximate angle is about 12-15 degrees.

You don't need to get hung up on this when sharpening. There are two options; copy the edge or ignore the edge.

If you want to copy the edge using a sharpie to paint the edge and then adjust your angle to remove the entire mark is a popular way to figure out the factory edge and stay on it.

If you want to ignore it just grind at the angle you want until you get a burr. Filp over and repeat. Then you will have ground a new edge at whatever angle you want. I tend to do this with my knives since I like them steeper than the factory usually puts on them.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:05 pm 

Thanks Mark and Steve.

I do 50/50 on my Henckles but was unsure with the TKC. I have been practicing on my cheaper knives and I'm getting good enough that I feel confident in sharpening the TKC. Ive been waiting to get a good knife but wanted to wait until I was confident in being able to sharpen one.

The knife was sharp out of the box but the edge was rough and the bevels were not even. Nothing that I can't easily fix.

I love the knife. I made a few meals with it and cutting up my veggies was unbelievable. I just didn't realize what a difference there would be. I read a lot about knife performance but never realized there would be such a difference. My Henckles are sharp like razors but the thin blade of the TKC really makes a difference. I like how the knife is not whippy or too stiff. Its just right. I'm just a home cook and I do most of the cooking as I really enjoy it. Been cooking for over 30 years. As I was prepping I was literally giggling as I worked. My wife thinks I'm nuts. LOL

Really Really love this knife. Glad I got it. Fast shipping and great support.

Thanks Mark.

Dave.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:20 pm 
Forum Moderator

Dave - my wife thinks I'm nuts and obsessed (OK I am) :-). Obsessed that is.

Yeah - sharp is sharp and thin is thin, but sharp and thin = awesome!!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:11 pm 
Forum Moderator

A little clarification first. :)

My TKC is branded by a company called Ichimonji.....and is not branded by Kikuichi which the one's from CKTG are.

That said, I do believe they are the same exact knife. I've seen several to company and they've looked identical. However, I don't have one here to verify right now.

That said, mine is ground 50/50, or so close I can't distinguish a difference and from what I recall of the others they were too. Perhaps they have some asymmetry to the grind, but it's not much, if any.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:16 am 

Thanks Adam,

I went ahead and sharpened it at a 50/50 and its sharp. I have chosera stones. 400/1000/5000. Took it through the progressions and put a nice edge on it. I stropped it on the 5000. I haven't had a chance to use it yet. Eating leftovers. LOL.

I have a lot to learn about sharpening so I think I can get it to another level. Its a fun process. I enjoy the tools and the experience as much as I do the cooking and especially the eating. LOl

Looking forward to prepping my next meal.

Thank you everyone. Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

God Bless.

Dave...

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:38 am 
Forum Moderator

Merry Christmas Dave. I also have a lot to learn about sharpening :-). Nice job with the TKC.

Page 1 of 2 [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next