It is currently Sat Nov 29, 2014 5:17 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Kikuichi Performance TKC
PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:50 am 

Thanks Steve,

Quote:Yeah - sharp is sharp and thin is thin, but sharp and thin = awesome!!

Amen Brother. I'm obsessed too. LOL.

Dave

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:36 pm 
Forum Moderator

DAVE <> As Mark states... don't get hung up this. Any final bevel, can be modified to 50/50 or 90/10 or 70/30 in one session. And honestly, you should experiment with different bevels to learn more about your likes & dislikes... as well as how that plays into the unique dynamic of each knife. Personally, I sharpen all my knives with 50/50 grinds to 70/30 righty.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:30 pm 
Forum Moderator

Glad it worked out for you!!

Merry Xmas!!

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:16 pm 

2014-11-21 13.41.14 (400x225).jpg [57.36 KiB]
Not downloaded yet

Look what showed up today! My Kikuichi was lonely! :D

Dave

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:24 pm 

2014-11-21 13.34.39 (640x360) (400x225).jpg [61.35 KiB]
Not downloaded yet

One more Pic.

Dave

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 2:52 am 

Nice knife Dave! Fujiyama White #1?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:15 am 

Hello Jeff,

Thank You!

Its this one. http://www.chefknivestogo.com/kofubl2gy21e.html

Ive been lusting after this knife for a while now. Just had to have it. Didn't need it, but you know how that is. :D

Still loving my KIkuichi, that knife is just awesome!

I picked up a cheap carbon vegetable cleaver from a Chinese place that is super thin, It looks identical to the one Mark carries. Didn't expect much from it when I got it, but once I put an edge on it and used it, I knew then that I had to get a thin carbon knife. Now I know why carbon is so popular. Its amazing how sharp you can get a thin carbon blade, and how easy they are to sharpen.The only way I can compare it is, like a thin piece of sheet metal that has been freshly cut with a pair of sheers. You know what I mean if you ever did any metal work. You know how that edge will just cut you if you look at it the wrong way. That's what a thin carbon feels like to me.

The Kono came with not much of an edge, heck one side didn't even have a bevel on it. But even in that condition it was sharp. But a quick trip on the stones and Bam! Screaming sharp! Just a pleasure to sharpen and a totally different feel and experience from the Kikuichi. I'm glad I got the 210 also, I have been using an 8" Henckels forever before getting the 240 Kikuichi, so I guess It just feels more natural to me. Don't get me wrong I'm glad I got the Kikuichi in 240, and it is useful in its own right. But for everyday prep the shorter length just fits me more. It took me a while to get used to the extra length on the Kikuichi, I don't know how many times I stabbed myself in the palm when doing a bridge cut. :P

I tend to not really look at the knife when working and was so used to using the shorter length I had to slow down and keep an eye on what I was doing. I can fly through things now with it, but it did take some getting used to. I can see why that length is recommended and needed especially in a commercial kitchen.

Did some supper prep yesterday after putting an edge on the Kono, Wow is all I can say. Its a nice light knife and just the perfect weight and length. Balance is right on the pinch grip. You can't believe how thin these are until you see them in person. Just an amazing quality knife. Beautiful work of art really.

Both knives are beautiful and perform excellent in their own way. I can see myself switching between the two for different tasks, and just because the are both awesome knives. I'm really happy I was able to get one finally. Its already getting a patina.

I pop in every now and then and read the boards when I have time. Winter months work slows down and it gives me a chance to catch my breath a little.

Anyway thanks again, and props to Mark for his great service as always.

Hmmmmm next up a Kono HD maybe......or possibly a heavy weight. :D

Cheers!

Dave

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 8:09 pm 

"It took me a while to get used to the extra length on the Kikuichi, I don't know how many times I stabbed myself in the palm when doing a bridge cut. :P"
I had the same problem after getting a Kono HD2 240 that ran 230mm on the edge and then got Masamoto KS that ran 255mm on the edge.

Page 2 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2