It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:11 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Keeping the Apex from lifting when using magnet?
PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:09 am 

I got the magnet and really like using that to stabilize the blade while sharpening, but when I pull it (even linearly) or lift on it I weaken the suction cup grip and eventually pull that up. I'd really like to mount it to a base, but I use it on a nice table and can't mount it to that. Any tips or tricks? Right now that is keeping me from using it...

-MJ

Post subject: Re: Keeping the Apex from lifting when using magnet?
PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:41 am 

You can try Duct tape, Gorilla is a good brand, to hold the front legs down that's what I did. I eventually took the suction cups off and mounted zip ties and tape to hold it on a piece of granite.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:01 am 

Get yourself a piece of fairly thick tempered glass large enough for the unit to fit on. Or plexiglass would work also. I would think the weight of the glass would work better. Maybe find some material to put under the glass to keep it from moving around. Edge Pro Inc. has that stone leveling kit with the round glass plate that IIRC the Apex will fit on. But its pretty pricey for what it is.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:13 am 

The OP has a good base, just the front legs are popping up because of the magnet, thus causing the suction cups to loosen.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:21 am 

Obviously that is not the case. A table top is indicated and he wants to mount it on something other than that. Or so he said.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:47 pm 
Forum Moderator

You can take the suction cups off and use appropriate size screws to attach the EP solidly to some kind of wooden or other drillable base, like a thick poly cutting board. It won't be as portable this way, but if your base has some weight to it, this should solve your problem. I would use grippy shelf liner between the base and your table/counter, etc.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:26 pm 

Using an upside down pyrex baking disk as a base, if I let the base get excessively wet, the suction cups will come loose. Just periodically drying the base solved the problem.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:11 pm 

I think its just the nature of the apex , those suction cups never really looked all that sturdy.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:01 pm 

Oops miss read the post..go to your local granite store and ask for a good chunk there going to throw out. They might even drill the holes you need for a few bucks. Take the cups off for sure and either drill, tape or epoxy it to the granite. Either way get rid of the cups and mount the front and back..

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:27 pm 

dougmc wrote:Using an upside down pyrex baking disk as a base, if I let the base get excessively wet, the suction cups will come loose. Just periodically drying the base solved the problem.

I use it right side up. It will also catch the water I sprinkle on the stones. Need to buy myself one and leave hers alone.

Page 1 of 2 [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next