It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 3:29 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Kaneshige vs Tojiro vs Fujiwara
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:08 pm 

How would this three brands compare? They are in the same price range and even Kaneshige knives are stated to use the same steel than the FKM.

Differences in profile, grind? What other knivs would be contenders in this price range?

I´ve been reading a lot about Tojiros DP and Fujiwaras but not that much about Kaneshiges, and the sport a nice octagon ho-buffalo horn handle.

JJ

Post subject: Re: Kaneshige vs Tojiro vs Fujiwara
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:26 am 

Tojiro DP is a bit thicker and heavier and has fairly good fit and finish for the price range. The VG10 steel in the DPs is a good steel but it can be a bit fickle to sharpen.

The Fujiwara is thinner and lighter (not by a huge margin but noticeable), the fit and finish is good but a step lower than the Tojiro, and the FKM steel is propriety, as compared to the Tojiro which is a widely available steel. The FKM steel is probably more forgiving to sharpen though I do not know that it preforms better once you have an edge on it. Given the comparative ease of sharpening and the thinness I tended to gravitate toward my Fujiwara more than the Tojiro.

I have not handled the Kaneshige. Steve's product video linked on the product page is probably your best source on information on this guy.

Personally I am a big fan of wa handles so I might lean toward the Kaneshige, but all three are good entry level J knives and good values for the money.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:50 am 

I bought a Fujiwara for a house knife in the kitchen where I am head chef. Stainless 270mm. It blows away what the guys had, though they don't really appreciate it, haha. The bevel is asymmetrical, fyi. For what it is worth, for the price I paid for the Fujiwara, I was considering buying one for myself, and I own knives far more expensive. It just performs and doesn't complain. It has a very reasonable HRC and the edge survives on touch ups even when cutting hard cheeses(what I use it for, mainly). It will cut 20# of tough cheeses and still slice a tomato pretty well. F+F was acceptable at the price point, maybe even better than expected. There were no handle gaps and no real horrible rough spots. The edge was good for a factory finished knife. As I wrote earlier, the bevel is set at 80/20, it can steer if you let it, even being a right handed cutter mainly. I would have no issues with taking this thing into a hard product, I have seen horrible cuts made that I thought for sure would snap the blade right off (you know that sound, lol) by the less experienced kitchen help but the Fujiwara shakes it off and continues at the task.

Overall, if all of the line is a reliable as the 270mm gyuto, I highly recommend them, it won't let you down. I would say the Tojiro is comparable, but I can't offer more than that. Kaneshige, I have no experience with, other than knowing they parent Konosuke, which are seriously quality pieces of cutlery.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:25 am 
Forum Moderator

JJ, I'm revising my thoughts on the Kaneshige Wa Stainless from what I wrote in the review. Opinions change over time, and I've handled/used many more knives since that review.

I've played with the 210 and 240 versions, changed the factory edge bevel on both, and put them through the same ingredients as other knives. I've got the 210 right now and I've been putting it side-by-side against my Tojiro DP 210 and some other 210's.

As I gain knowledge and experience I now have three issues with these that, for me, have moved them down the list somewhat in comparison to the current CKTG offerings.

1) The OOB edge bevel is almost 90/10, RH biased, As a lefty I noticed pretty significant steering. I re-ground both the 210/240 edge bevels to about 60/40 or 50/50 and the steering issue went away.

2) The steel seems pretty wear resistant. It was a LOT of work resetting the bevels and these just don't seem to want to get really sharp like many knives I've sharpened, including various carbon and stainless steels. I found the experience a bit frustrating, to be honest.

3) Compared to knives like the Tojiro DP and Fujiwara FKM, these are thicker at the edge and they tend to wedge a bit through food. They just don't flow through ingredients like those other two, or more recent offerings like the Kohetsu Blue #2 210/240, Takamura VG-10 Nashiji, Tanaka Ginsan.

If you're looking at 210's, do yourself a favor and consider the the Takamura VG-10 as well. It's well worth the price upgrade IMO if you want a lighter Western handled, very good performing 210 Gyuto. The handle is a bit slimmer, more akin to the Fujiwara FKM 210 than the larger handle on the Tojiro DP 210.

You can see my video comparison of the FKM and DP 210's on the product pages.

If you have larger hands you might the handle on the DP 210 best.

Comparing 240's, I like the blade shape profile and lighter weight of the FKM better than the Tojiro DP, but that's my preference.

If stainless over Blue #2 carbon steel is an option, the Kohetsu Blue #2 210/240 are great blades as well, though the handles are much more utilitarian than the FKM, DP, and Takamura VG-10 series.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:08 pm 

I'm terribly impressed with Fujiwara's knife offerings. At the price they are great intros and having a knife that's a little more forgiving but still has that Japanese profile and weight distribution is just delightful. I've sold a lot of people on them and made some very happy campers. The more I use them the more I prefer them to the DP series.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:10 pm 

Something tells me that the Kaneshige is a hidden treasure for the price but that is just a gut feeling as I haven't used one.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:32 pm 

Jeff B wrote:Something tells me that the Kaneshige is a hidden treasure for the price but that is just a gut feeling as I haven't used one.

I thought you had a 240?

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3984&hilit=%20kaneshige

Mowgs

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:43 pm 

+1 for Fujiwara. I really like the profile on the 240 and the steel is plenty good enough. Once you get the feel for sharpening it thin the shoulders a little and the thing cuts like a champ. Just soft enough to never worry about it. I use mine a my "counter knife" at home.... keeping my more delicate knives in a drawer. It gets plenty of use and abuse and honestly it cuts as well as many more expensive knives.

As a wa handled alternative have you considered the GT Artifex? Supposedly the same steel as the Fujiwara with a nice japanese handle and slightly more KS-ish profile.... I haven't used one and can't comment on the grind, but they look like a great value:
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/fufkm24wa.html

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:15 pm 

They're the same steel and assumedly the same heat treatment. Seems like it would be a big waste of time to change up a successful procedure. I must have suggested them a dozen times for people who want to get into Japanese handles. Definitely a good go to for an introductory wa-gyuto.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:55 pm 

MowgFace wrote:
Jeff B wrote:Something tells me that the Kaneshige is a hidden treasure for the price but that is just a gut feeling as I haven't used one.

I thought you had a 240?

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3984&hilit=%20kaneshige

Mowgs

You know Mowgs I'd had pretty much forgotten about that knife. That was like the second knife I bought. I didn't use it but a few times and later sold it along with a couple of Gokos to fund my Masamoto KS purchase. I'm sure compared to my Victorinox knives it felt like a Kono to me. I was doing a lot of passing around with a couple buddies back then too. I sold most of the first knives I bought not knowing anything about knives, just trying different stuff. My first purchase was a Fernandez 230mm gyuto, I still have that one. Being my first it will always be a favorite.
My wife is all up my ass now because I'm just a home cook and have almost $3k(very little compared to some :) ) in knives and $1k in stones(I've sold a few of those too). I'm on knife probation just when Mark is getting in all this new cool stuff. I pay off my house in October and then it's on! :twisted:

Page 1 of 2 [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next