It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:19 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Kajiwara 120mm damascus petty
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 8:49 pm 

Like the title says, quick review of Kajiwara 120mm damascus petty.

First of all, i'd like to say that I believe this knife to be made of Aogami Super, not Blue #2. I say this because of how dark the steel is, like my Richmond gyuto in AS, and because of the final chiseled characters which are not kanji, but appear to be japanese for blue super. Maybe Mark can chime in on that.

Alright, with that said, where do I begin? I love this knife. It is one of the more expensive 120mm petty's, but this knife is incredibly versatile. It is extremely stout. Blade thickness is huge, but the grind is a very good convex grind which does drop down rapidly to the edge, making it pretty thin, considering spine thickness. This knife can easily be used in place of a honesuki, but is much more versatile for other tasks (I still love my honesuki for detailed poultry work, and garnishes and such that might need a much finer tip). The huge blade depth results in a near "mini santoku" feel, and the edge is quite sharp out of the box. The height of the blade makes for good pinch grip usage, and allows you to choke up to within a couple centimeters of the point if you want. The edge profile is quite flat, again like a honesuki, and the point is fine enough for mincing garlic and shallots. Once again, that blade height is stellar in a knife of this size, and I can't find another petty that even comes close.

Fit and finish is really good. The handle suits the knife very well, and it is balanced right on the choil. It's a very good looking knife with it's dark steel, almost resembling titanium, and dark handle. The handle is oval, and it is very well sized, and feels VERY good in hand.

In the end, this knife hits it out of the park for me. I would not hesitate to use this on the line, whether you need to add an ingredient at the sauté station, or for garnishing, trimming meat, etc. You can scoop very nicely with this blade, and the stiffness of the blade makes for great precision cutting. 50/50 convex results in neutral steering, and the thickness makes it almost usuba like when peeling, or trying katsuramuke.

I highly recommend this knife. Highly recommend. So useful, its scary, and behind my gyuto this is bar far the most used knife in my roll. I am very glad I chose this knife despite the minimal feedback on it. This knife deserves a good practical video showcasing it's versatility. Easily five stars, even with an unrelieved choil and spine.

Post subject: Re: Kajiwara 120mm damascus petty
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:48 pm 

doug - You posted a couple of excellent reviews. Welcome to the forum.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:24 pm 

Man that thing's looking nice for being able to choke up and mince garlic and stuff.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:47 am 

I love my Kajiwara gyuto. Good eyes, too, the kanji do look like "blue" and "super".

How is the reactivity on yours? I find the iron cladding on mine to be very reactive, kind of a pain without a forced patina.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:59 am 

It is quite reactive, and it seems to react VERY differently based on the acidity of what I'm cutting, no rusting yet, I've had it for four days, and I've run it through five full heads of garlic, half a dozen spring onions, maybe fifty radishes, fifteen tomatoes, two lemons, a dozen sweet peppers, a bunch of carrots (this knife is too thick to do carrot butterfly's) a dozen jalapeños and about fifty figs. I can't wait to take it to work, don't know which one will get the most envious looks, the Richmond AS laser, or this little guy. It's definitely pretty reactive, not like untreated cast iron which is a pitted rusty mess within 5 minutes exposure to even mild humidity. I have a tendency to always have a rag over my shoulder, and I usually wipe my knives almost overly often. During prep work I sanitize probably five times as often as I really need to, like every twenty minutes or so, board and knife, so wiping often is just habit at this point.

Doesn't change anything for me, this is still the best small knife I have ever laid my hands on, and the first small knife that I think is just as useful as a gyuto/chefs. I am that impressed with it.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:15 am 

Yep, definitely says blue in kanji, and super in romanji (I think. It's definitely the first character in "super mario brothers"). Japanese for the #2 is just basically an equal sign with a slightly shorter top hash than the lower. This at least explains the higher price of the knife. Doesn't matter to me, just means that a great knife just got a bit better. If the cladding is ductile iron, it is a very cool color, a very rich blue hue, like I said, very reminiscent of titanium. I wonder if titanium would make a good knife cladding? lol.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:38 am 

Here's a little add on. Just stropped 6 strokes left, six right, five left, five right, down to one each side, and the edge came alive, just on a no compound leather strop. I knew I was converting to carbon steel for a reason.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:47 am 

I think I might have to pick one of these up. My next pickup was gonna be an all around nice petty. You say it's pretty reactive but it doesn't seem so based on your description. My Tojiro ITK's would literally turn before your eyes. Better now that I've patina'd them but still pretty reactive. It doesn't bother me as I'm always at home and I just love how carbon sharpens, it's like a graphite pencil on the stones, so easy to get scary sharp.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:21 am 

If you are looking for a small petty, this is unlike anything else I've seen or used. It looks like the Goko would be pretty similar, but it doesnt appear to have the same quality of con vexing. Tried it on block parmigiano reggiano, and chocolate tonight. You can shave really nice curls with this, because of that monster convex. Penne or rotini bolognese always looks awesome with a big curl of parm as a garnish. As far as reactivity goes, like any carbon, if you leave droplets of citrus juice, or miss a chunk of tomato stuck to the blade, it will stain. Cleans right up, but it does happen pretty quick. Like I said, I am a fanatical knife wiper...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:46 pm 

Great review!

We have 2 Kajiwara knives at home; my wife's damascus funayuki and a 120 kurouchi petty that is my 10 year old daughters first j-knife. My girls love their Kajiwaras, and even let's me play with them every once in a while :)

I agree with the statements about reactivity and find garlic to be the #1 culprit, but a quick wipe works well. Haven't tried a forced patina yet. Easily my favorite knife for cutting radishes.

Page 1 of 2 [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next