It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 3:09 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Just got Kai 240/1000 whetstone set for Christmas!
PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:16 am 

Umm... also can anyone tell me how to post pics? :o

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:03 am 

Ok, let's try this

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 3:20 am 

Looks like your grinding on the shoulder more than anything and your angle is all over the place. You've rounded the edge quite a bit too. Don't get discouraged, very common newbie mistakes.
Your probably raising your wrist at the end of your forward stoke. Keep trying, work slowly and use light pressure. Did you try the sharpie?

Watch this video. viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1594

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 3:35 am 

Thanks, yeah. I tried to be consistent with the angle, but when I was at it for a while and couldn't get a burr to come up, I would widen it. I did try the sharpie, which came off rather haphazardly. Do I just want to put it on the very edge? Like the last fraction of a millimeter, or past the shoulder (which I'm understanding as the top of the edge bevel)? I did watch that video along with all the others on this site, but that was before I got the stones, so I guess it's time to watch 'em again. :0Thanks for looking. :) Sorry about screwing up the page. :o

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:07 am 

Just mark the entire edge bevel from the edge to the shoulder which is where the edge bevel meets the side. That will tell you if you are hitting the bevel and where.
If you want to thin the knife, you'd mark the shoulder so you would know if you are grinding behind the edge. Just concentrate on the edge bevel for now. ;)

If you are removing the top part of the sharpie mark but not the bottom, you are grinding at too low of an angle. Raise the spine of the knife a bit and see what it does.
If you are cleaning the mark off the bottom of the edge the angle is too high. You'll need to lower the spine a little.
You may need to remark the edge. You want to get to the point where you cleanly remove all of the sharpie when you grind it on the stone.

It only takes a pass or so to remove the mark, so if you need to check the mark after every pass or two to see what you are grinding on the edge and redo the mark as needed while you learn.

Finding and holding an edge angle can be tricky and there is a definite learning curve involved, but once you get the hang of it you'll never have a dull knife in the house! lol ;)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:21 pm 

Thank you for the continued help. So the distance from the edge to the shoulder should be really short on that knife, right?
Like a mm or less?
I will keep at it.
But I wanna be good now![/whine]
Btw, when people talk about angle it sounds like they mean from a line drawn perpendicular to the spine through the center of the edge. Is that right?
Thinking of getting that digital angle finder thing they sell on the site.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:45 pm 

How wide the edge is from the bevel's shoulder to the actual edge is going to depend on the thickness of the blade and the angle at which it is sharpened.
It can be different for every knife. Typically for thinner blades it will be very thin. It looks like on your knife it was possibly less than a mm.

And yes, if you think of a plane passing through the blade from heel to tip perpendicular to the spine, centered on the edge, and parallel to the sides, that would be what the angle is relative to.
So raising the spine to get that plane 20 degrees relative to the stone would give you a 20 degree bevel on that side. Just remember that exact angle aren't important (unless it's 90 degrees lol :P ) but consistent angles are.
You are sharpening by hand, so some variation is completely natural. The key is to minimize it as much as possible and the only way to do that is practice. :)

The angle finders (I think) are for use with a system like the Edge Pro so setting it up for a particular knife will be faster and easier. They aren't needed for hand sharpening... unless you're OCD about it... lol

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:46 pm 

Heh, maybe just a little ocd, lol. I'll get back to grinding away. :)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 1:36 am 

You'll have that "AH HA" moment and all will be well!

Page 2 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2