It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:15 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 2 [ 11 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Cutting Board options
Flat Board  78%  78%  [ 18 ]
Juice Grove One Side and Optional Feet  22%  22%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 23

Post subject: Re: Juice Groove yes or no?
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:18 am 
Forum Moderator

I think it depends on the usage. As a home cook, by 16x17.5" board has plenty of space, even with a juice groove. I'm not mowing through bunches of celery, bags of potatoes and onions, etc. I usually don't cut on the very edge of the board, either, so it doesn't really change much for me. I'm usually cutting up an onion, a pepper, couple potatoes, pack of mushrooms, etc, not boxes/crates/bags of the stuff. I don't have much of a problem sliding food off into a pan or bowl either and the slight extra time doesn't make a difference to me. I don't like the drag the knife across the board anyway and use my hand to better control the stuff; with the knife, it tends to fall everywhere but where I want it! I like the grooves because it keeps the counter mess down a bit; I don't have tons of extra towels around to soak up the run off or a washing service to take care of that each day. I cut up watermelon a lot, which is pretty juicy, same for pineapples. When I roast a chicken, I get a store chicken, which often have water added, so even after letting it sit for 5-15 minutes after cooking, there is a lot of extra water in it. I don't serve meats or anything on the board at all, it all gets transferred to another plate to put on the table since the board is big. One of the problems I had with the run off was it ran into where I used to store my stones; getting greasy chicken water or watermelon juice on the stones wasn't good!!

If I was a pro chef, working through a ton of food and where time was important, I would want a 14x20 board at least, no grooves and it would be lined by towels. For most home cooks, a 12x12 or 14x14 is plenty big I would think for most home food prep unless you are cooking for a big dinner or something.

It's kinda like knives. I like thinner carbon knives that take a wicked edge and require more care and attention. I am not cutting for 8 hours constantly, so edge holding isn't very critical for me. I like a Nakiri for veggies and I don't mind using different knives for different tasks instead of using a gyuto for everything. If I was cutting through produce and stuff for 8 or 10 hours straight, I would want a bigger chef knife that had better edge holding than White #2! I enjoy sharpening and can afford to take some times every few weeks to touch up the edge if it needs to.

Page 2 of 2 [ 11 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2