It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 3:58 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 6 of 7 [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Jones Cutting Board
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:57 am 

Wow, those boards look great. Definitely will have to look up this thread - after the next move - to replace my old Acacia board.

Funny note: I also own two small edge-grain boards that were purchased at the Montpelier, VT farmers' market, from a stall that specializes in making coffins. Yes, that's right.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 5:20 am 

I have a nice end grain board my mother gave me when I moved out. Sadly it's so large it barely fits in the sink, so I don't really use it.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 6:03 am 

These look incredible,

Based on the reviews, I plan to order one of the checker board end grains this week.

I'm leaning against getting the feet, am I missing something important about them?

Thanks in advance for the info

Mike

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 8:58 am 
Forum Moderator

My counter isn't level and with the feet, I can shim up the corners so the board doesn't rock and I don't have to use a towel under to shim it. No feet, you can use both sides of the board if you wanted to. Feet make it easier to pick up off the counter and helps it dry evenly since there is room for air to get underneath the board if you are going to leave it on your counter constantly.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:41 pm 

I didn't get the feet. I just use a kitchen towel under the board and that seems to give enough lift to adjust for my uneven counter. I like being able to use both sides. The board is heavy enough that it doesn't slide around. The hand grooves on the side make lifting easy. I live in a dry climate but I can see how a towel might cause moisture problems in a more humid area (in that case the feet might be nice to keep the air moving around the wood).

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:50 pm 

Side note: I just picked up some BeeKeeper's Gold by chance since I ran out of mineral oil and my usual wax/oil blend. The can says it is made/distributed by Lamson. This stuff is awesome for creating a nearly waterproof surface on the board. For some reason their beeswax dries to a nice satin sheen and doesn't seem to build up too much. Much more moisture resistant that something like the Boos board cream. Water just beads up and a quick wipe cleans the board after extensive cutting. The wax/oil also seems fairly durable in that it doesn't scrape off or wipe off too easily.

I just add this since I live in a place where wood dries out quickly if it isn't well oiled. The Jones board I got was clearly slathered before it was shipped, but it definitely needed daily (then weekly) oiling for a while. This wax blend seems to be a nice finish coat for a freshly seasoned board and it keeps the mineral oil from evaporating out too quickly.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:46 pm 

I sent them an email and got a quote for a nice large custom pattern board, but I am having trouble pulling the trigger. It will be 15x22 which I made based upon my sink size and the other boards that I have. My other go to board is a bamboo 13x19x1 and even with plenty of oiling is just not very nice overall. The new Jones board is still cheaper than most of the comparable commercial offerings, but I am just not sure I can justify the expense still. Seeing the pictures and reviews here are making it harder.

Any suggestions?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:19 pm 

If you can afford to buy one you won't have any regrets! Just think of it as a long term investment. Good knives deserve a good board....

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:39 pm 

I don't have any experience with this maker but whatever board you buy, this one or one in the future, If you properly care for it your grand kids will be using it one day.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:01 pm 

"I live in a dry climate but I can see how a towel might cause moisture problems in a more humid area (in that case the feet might be nice to keep the air moving around the wood)."

I use non-slip shelf liner material under mine. I like the idea that there is some air trapped in the mesh and rubbery material does not retain moisture.

Page 6 of 7 [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next