It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:23 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 3 of 7 [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Jones Cutting Board
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:09 am 

Great looking board! Thanks for bringing this to our attention. I'm thinking of getting a walnut board with a cherry stripe running down the center.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 5:41 pm 
Forum Moderator

Jason, that's the 12x18 that I have on order - reverse of Tim's. I'll provide feedback when it arrives.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:20 pm 

Thanks Steve, I'll look forward to your feedback.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:35 pm 
Forum Moderator

Finally got around to oiling mine. It was VERY thirsty! The walnut middle section wasn't too bad; the oil stayed on the board more and didn't soak in as much. The cherry section really soaked the oil up. I would squirt some mineral oil on the border area to let it puddle up and when I put the bottle down I saw that the border is dry again. Wiping the Cherry border with a oil soaked paper towel would look dry seconds after the towel passed the area. I used almost half of a bottle of oil on the top of the board so far.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:19 pm 

Hello,

My name is Martin Jones and I'm the owner of JonesCuttingBoards. First off, I would just like to say thanks for your business so far! I'm actually new to the whole forum thing, but want to take the time to answer some questions and also tell you a bit about myself and the shop. I fell in love with woodworking when I was young and helped my dad create most of the furniture for the house. I have been woodworking since, and I still love creating wood crafted items. For yrs. I have been able to do so for a living and continue to be grateful for this. We are still a small but growing family operated business located in Western PA. Our hardwoods used are all provided locally and currently stock Walnut, Cherry, and Maple. Our shop is not as fancy with machines and gizmos as a lot of larger shops. This gives us the chance to focus on one board at a time and provide attention to details needed. Also I would like to post a picture of my standard sized 6yr old Walnut Cherry Checkerboard end grain to address the concern of wood combinations(its also 18x12x1.5"). As soon as I figure out how to do that, haha.. Thanks again and if you have any questions I will try to answer the best I can.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:32 pm 
Forum Moderator

Welcome Martin! I gotta say I love the board so far! Feels nice and solid, it was a bit wet with oil when I got it, and the wrapping was oily, so I was surprised with how much oil it took up, but it looks even nicer now that I gave it a good drink! Most boards recommend that people oil a lot when they first get the board, then every few days for a while, then once a week and then once a month or as needed, so I was expecting to oil it anyway. The board is thicker than my other bigger board and feels MUCH more solid. I am guessing the Cherry is more porous than the Black Walnut, which would explain why it soaked up more oil. Also, the cherry is on the sides, so there is more wood exposed to the air, so the cherry will dry out faster. On my Maple Border on my black walnut board, the Maple border usually takes a lot more oil than the walnut section does being on the border and more surface area exposed. I usually plan on using a lot of oil at first to really soak the board well, and I usually wash it after each use, so I am constantly using, washing, drying, re oiling anyway.

Posting pics, it's easiest to upload them to a hosting site, like Photobucket and then using the link on photobucket that looks like with the URL in between the [img]pieces. From your own website, right click on the image, go to Properties and then copy the Image URL and paste it between the [img] blocks.

This is the pic from your homepage:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:41 pm 

Martin - Ditto on the welcome! I was looking for my first end grain cutting board and based on the photos and comments posted by taz575, I bought one of your boards a few days ago. Actually the same size and wood combo as taz575 - 12x18 walnut/cherry combo with walnut in center - and am really looking forward to it. And another member (SteveG) also just bought one of your boards. Very glad I found your website.

Cheers, Henry

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:52 pm 

Martin, welcome! Thanks for the intro. I'm glad to hear you can make a living doing what you love. I'll be purchasing a board from you soon as well.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:16 pm 

ImageThanks for the welcome! I believe I attached a picture of one of my 6ry old end grains. All the glue joints still going strong and woods didn't develop any cracks. You can also see how the cherry darkened with age. Though it does need oiled, I'm in the middle of remodeling our kitchen so its been in storage for a few months. I know excuses, excuses ha. I wanted to get it out to take a pic to ease the concern on the wood combos. I look forward to hearing from you Jason on a order. Henry thanks for your recent order, I should have it shipped by the weeks end or early next week. Ill be sure to get you the tracking as soon as it goes out. Running a little behind here. I actually had to temporarily close a few online stores to get caught up. End Grains do soak a lot in when new Tim, your right on that. We try to get as much oil in them before they leave here as possible but it sounds like your doing exactly what the board needs. Did you receive the, how to maintain your board paper with your order? Just curious, we always try to put one in with every board.. Here is a order just finished up yesterday Image

Thanks,

Marty

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:45 pm 

Wow what a board! I've never seen one quite like that before. Great work man, I dig it.

Page 3 of 7 [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next