It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:32 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 3 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: Japanese kitchen knife culture in Canada
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 8:48 pm 

I don't think it's unfair to compare the knife cultures of Canada to the US based on population size. It was more a generalization. It's not like I took a nation wide poll. Visited every knife shop in the US and Canada...etc. My comments were just based on what I've heard from proprietors in Toronto and BC. And Canadians (echoed by a few Chinese posters on this thread). So take it for what it's worth.

If I compared Canada (approx 34M) to California (approx. 37M)...I think the conclusions would still be the same. Or Toronto vs NYC.

If there is any "unfairness" in the comparison...it might have to do with the fact that knife culture in Canada is surprisingly young (e.g. 2 shops in TO specializing in Japanese knives...one shop 2 yrs old and the other 1). Whereas, in the US, I think there's been a knife culture for a decade? At least 5 years I believe. I think CKTG has been around for approximately 10 years?

Just seems to me that Canadians in general are only now slowly catching on to the merits of high quality JP kitchen knives. Odd that with all the great restaurants in Toronto the chef's and culinary students wouldn't have spurred on the knife culture years ago. All the major Canadian cities offer terrific places to eat for foodies. It's like a lot of the food industry "professionals" in Canada still don't value good kitchen knives (as some one on this thread mentioned).

Any how, about buying knives in Canada and the inflated costs...as I said...Canadians are caught between a rock and a hard place. If you want brand A you must buy from this one shop (one exception being Takeda knives as i mentioned). Sakai Tadatsuna?...you MUST buy from KNIFE (charges a little over $100 more for a Tadatsuna INOX 240mm gyuto). If you want to buy Konosuke's...Tosho. MAC...Slice & Sear. Etc. Soon Canadians won't be able to buy Masamoto knives in Canada period.

It's knives yuppies buy like Shun, Global & Kasumi (along with their Chefs Choice electric sharpeners) that are more readily available throughout Canada and at standardized pricing. Same as US pricing. Actually, I've noticed the pricing for Takeda's are the same in both US and Canada (not a knife usually bought by the "in-crowd"...too rustic looking for them I guess..not "shiny" enough HEH!!).

Or, Canadians could order from the US and chance having to pay duty. As some one mentioned, in some cases, it would still be worth it.

Last edited by BDD on Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 8:59 pm 

victoon wrote:wow, you guys need to pay tax to shop from an online US retailer? maybe next time you visit the Falls you can stay at the US side and have Mark ship stuff to the hotel.

But for knives, I would buy local also if there is a good enough selection. I would love to try the model before I buy it. it would also be nice to pick one from a few to minimize imperfections.

OK..duty and sales tax may be the same thing,still puts a damper on my purchasing decision..
The good news is my niece recently moved to San Diego,so maybe I can convince her to bring some knives back with her when she visits(she owes me) :D

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:05 pm 

peteszzahh wrote:
victoon wrote:wow, you guys need to pay tax to shop from an online US retailer? maybe next time you visit the Falls you can stay at the US side and have Mark ship stuff to the hotel.

But for knives, I would buy local also if there is a good enough selection. I would love to try the model before I buy it. it would also be nice to pick one from a few to minimize imperfections.

OK..duty and sales tax may be the same thing,still puts a damper on my purchasing decision..
The good news is my niece recently moved to San Diego,so maybe I can convince her to bring some knives back with her when she visits(she owes me) :D

Great to have family living in the US. :) And that knives can be brought across the boarder (only in checked-in luggage).

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:28 pm 
Site Admin

We should do a store in Canada. What do you think??? I want an excuse to go fishing with Pierre. :)

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:37 pm 

Do you really need an excuss to go fishing with Pierre??? :)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:18 am 

chefknivestogo wrote:We should do a store in Canada. What do you think??? I want an excuse to go fishing with Pierre. :)

I (and most Canadians) probably hope you would. Pick Toronto as your Canadian location (e.g. Markham, RICHMOND Hill...are good locations in Toronto). For real. This way you could give the Canadian kitchen knife culture a real boost offering the selection you do. :)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 3:49 am 

Time for me to insert my western Canada blurb because its expected of me hahaha

Toronto may have the highest population, but Calgary and Edmonton is Oil and Gas central and there is a lot more money here!!! =P

Lowest tax rate and Alberta Beef!!!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 4:41 am 

Nee wrote:Time for me to insert my western Canada blurb because its expected of me hahaha

Toronto may have the highest population, but Calgary and Edmonton is Oil and Gas central and there is a lot more money here!!! =P

Lowest tax rate and Alberta Beef!!!

More money than Toronto?? Don't know about that.

Alberta beef? Send some over for me to sample. I'll be the judge. Some dry aged porterhouse will do. 1.5" thick. pound and a half slabs. :)

Lower tax...that is a good point...you guys only pay PST or GST. And there's privatization of wine shops allowed IIRC. Not so in Toronto. Wine is controlled by the LCBO. Bastards!! :)

EDIT: And I mistakenly said "Sakai Tadatsuna" when it should be "Ikkanshi Tadatsuna". What ever Mark had (spelling "Sakai YOsuke" instead of "Sakai YUsuke" on the CKTG website) I have. :)

EDIT: When I said if Canadians wanted brand X we had but to go to one shop...depends on the brand. We actually have 3 Misono dealers in the east coast. 2 Moritaka dealers. 2 Sakai Takayuki dealers. Shun's...WS, Internet Knife Store (Toronto based w/ store front), and Paul's Finest. Masakage...Knifewear, west-coast and at KNIFE (Toronto). Etc.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 5:08 am 

Alberta would be perfect. Lower shipping cost to BC and only have to pay GST 8)

(A BC Boy)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:27 pm 

I'm not trying to sound like a dick but I was having this conversation with a few guests that were from Toronto and they were saying how much better it has been since they got offered a position in Calgary.

But trust me we have more money than Ontario, we've been debt free since 2004 and in 2008, the recession hit Ontario, Alberta and BC the hardest and the one province that bounced back the fastest was Alberta. In addition to free health care and only a 5% tax rate, we clearly have more money. It's a good thing the WildRose party didn't win the election in Alberta or that means Canada gets no piece of the pie whatsoever. There is also a reason why Kelowna is called Alberta's playground.

I've also driven in Toronto and Ottawa, wtf? What is up with your guys roads? It's like urban offroading!

Anyway I don't want to turn this thread into an east vs west any more than it is, sorry!!

Page 2 of 3 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next