It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 3:53 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 4 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Itto Ryu white, Goko White, or Anryu Hammered?
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 6:44 pm 

Hi All,

The Itto Ryu white 240 gyuto got my attention when someone said he preferred it over his kono.

Been trying to find out more about it but there are so few comments on it here. Anyone have anything to say about it?

How is it in comparison to knives like the more frequently recommended Goko white, and Anryu Hammered?

thanks

Post subject: Re: Itto Ryu white, Goko White, or Anryu Hammered?
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:11 pm 

Oh man, the platinum member pass around will include the Itto-Ryu, it is actually one of the knives I am most excited to try precisely because of some of the hype that have been generated around them recently.

Till then I'm going to go pop some popcorn... ;)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 4:51 am 

I have all three (the Itto in 210 though) and will say the Itto-Ryu is surprisingly an excellent knife. It goes though product very easily. Good F&F, good grind and sharpens exceedingly well. It does not seem to hold the edge as long as the Anryu but so easy to use with a very useful profile. It fits between the Anryu (thinnest) and the Goko (robust). It has become my favorite 210 even over the TKC!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:53 pm 

gladius wrote:It has become my favorite 210 even over the TKC!

Now that is praise indeed.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 4:49 pm 

Yeah it's comments like that that get our attention. And especially from someone who has lots of knives. I hear the Goko white and anryu hammered being recommended a lot and the itto not getting much air time, from what I see it's a really nice knife.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 4:53 pm 

Gladius, what other 210, 240 gyutos do you have? And which gyuto is your favorite regardless of length and why? Thanks

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 5:21 pm 

Hi gladius, home user or have you tested those knives in professional environment?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:51 pm 

The Itto is preferred for most tasks I think due to it's height (compared to TKC) and profile: either slicing, chopping or rocking work well.
I prefer the TKC for acidic product, lemon, lime, orange, tomoato, etc.

At the price-point the Itto is a surprise and even came with rounded spine & choil.

I have a good selection: Teruyasu, Takeda, Hiromoto, Takayuki, Moritaka, Masamoto, Misono, Suisen, Gassan, Mac, Shun, Fujiwara, Artifex, Wustohof, Henckle, Global, TI Sabatier & K-Sab & Nogent and many more I inherited.

I am a home cook now but third generation in restaurants. The most used are the Anryu, Itto, TKC because they feel so good in hand (ergonomics: balance & control) and the way they glide though product. Most are common in pro environments.

The Teruyasu is relatively new to me but is probably the best I have though I have not yet become accustomed to it. It is very "chippy" (came chipped and continues to chip) - I think it's treated too hard for W#1, but my is it a super cutter: an excellent performer!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:51 pm 

Gladius, that's an impressive range of knives, glad to know the Itto was in the top 3. Just 1 more question. If you had to pick between the itto and anryu which would it be?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:31 pm 

RE: "...between the itto and anryu which would it be?"

Anryu

Page 1 of 4 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next