It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:07 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 4 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Itto Ryu white, Goko White, or Anryu Hammered?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:54 pm 

I have the Itto 210. I think gladius gave a great endorsement of the knife. I've written elsewhere on the forum about what a great knife it is. You really can't lose at that price. The only thing I would add is that the handle kind of sucks. Definitely not on par with the blade. I don't care much about handles in general. I found that I didn't mind it much in use since the knife is so damn good, but ultimately I upgraded the handle since the Itto was quickly becoming my go-to knife. I also wanted more neck since they install the handle so close to the heel. Here is a link to my post about the handle stuff: http://www.chefknivestogoforum.com/itto-ryu-handle-upgrade-t7079.html

So.... if you are cool with a so-so handle on a bad ass blade it is a great deal. If you want to upgrade the handle you bring yourself within the price range of the Anryu (making it a wash between the two price-wise). The fit and finish on the Itto looks a touch better to me than the Anryu (very nicely rounded spine, choil), the grind is perfect and the profile hits the sweet spot for just about every cutting style. The white steel probably won't hold the edge as long as the Anryu blue, but it gets very sharp and seems to be treated to a good hardness in my experience.

This decision just comes down to the smallest details... the biggest difference is price. The lower price does NOT indicate a lower quality blade in my opinion. I think it mostly accounts for the cheaper handle and the lesser known smith.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:28 pm 

Nice handle, improves aesthetics considerably.

I have not customized save for "lightly smoothing" the face of the blade on chromium oxide/leather so it glides through product even better.

The color of the patina is the wildest with bluish/grey/brown cloud patterns!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:14 pm 

+1 for that great blue patina! Did your Itto have the dark KU finish? or was it polished off when you got the knife? My blade felt silky smooth out of the box and I haven't noticed any drag when cutting.... I like the sound of your chromium oxide/leather technique though. :D

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:13 pm 

Yep - I got the new style - looks like they do more work on those.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:49 am 

Any comments on how the Goko stacks up to the Itto? Curious about the 240mm for both knives....

Trying to decide between these two as to which would be a better workhorse. Want a knife to handle anything, something that has some weight to it where the knife is nice and stout/stiff and just feels like a beast. Both of these appeal to me quite a bit given their price point compared to the Anryu

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:47 am 

SolidSnake03 wrote:Any comments on how the Goko stacks up to the Itto? Curious about the 240mm for both knives....

Trying to decide between these two as to which would be a better workhorse. Want a knife to handle anything, something that has some weight to it where the knife is nice and stout/stiff and just feels like a beast. Both of these appeal to me quite a bit given their price point compared to the Anryu

I really want to get my hands on one to find out, but I can be pretty sure the Goko will need quite a bit more work. Ultimate performance I have no idea, but out of the box I would bet heavily on the Itto. The Goko is a good knife but it needs some cleanup and some thinning just behind the edge, though it is stout and does feel like a beast.

Edit: You know, just to muddy the waters a bit more, we haven't added the Anryu Kurouchi Suminagashi 240 mm to the mix (http://www.chefknivestogo.com/kaankusugy24.html). Heavier than the hammered Anryu by the stats page, but if the grinds are as good it should be a performer still. And it is apparently stainless clad as well.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:13 pm 

But that assessment is without actually owning the goko?

I curious because of the glowing impressions i have read of it and watched, doesnt sound like you were describing it as needing some work etc...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:19 pm 

The Goko is the stoutest and stiffest of the three knives and what I would deem most of a workhorse.

Some have commented it "wedges and needs work" but I have not found that to be the case and have done nothing beyond initial sharpening.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:06 pm 

SolidSnake03 wrote:But that assessment is without actually owning the goko?

I curious because of the glowing impressions i have read of it and watched, doesnt sound like you were describing it as needing some work etc...

Sorry, that was confusingly worded: I don't own the Itto, but I do own a Goko. My personal experience was that mine needed easing on the spine and choil and some thinning behind the edge. I am still finessing the latter a bit. It cuts well usually but I am occasionally surprised when it wedges in things it seems like it shouldn't. It has been much improved by a couple minor thinning sessions, taking it down a bit every time I sharpen and slowly getting it thinner. My impression from reading about the Itto is that the grinds are done a bit better on them. But not everyone has a problem with the Goko, so it may be that some are ground better than others and I got unlucky.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:48 pm 

Thanks for these responses, this all sounds logical and good to me. Im definitely after the stiffest and stoutest knife for my work-horse. I like something that has a bit of heft to it as well as a blade forward balance, just enjoy how it seems to cut for itself with any real user input assuming good sharpeness of course.

I think either would be a good choice but the goko might be a bit better given my desires for stout, strong, weighty etc....? That seem logical?

Page 2 of 4 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next