It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:05 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: Is the Shun Fillet knife the best?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:41 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Mark;

I went out for dinner the other night and our friends had invited a weird and peculiar chef to prepare dinner. Anyway, this guy prepared a really nice sashimi wahoo which was prepared and served on a salt block. I have a friend who is really into sushi (from a diy point of view!) so I asked the weird chef about knives. He said he was using a Shun Fillet Knife which he believes to be the very best for preparing sushi and the first knife that any serious fish guy should have.

Do you agree?

I cannot find it in your Shun collection. Can you get it? Can you ship it to Canada?

What I would like to order is two fillet knives (I gotta have one too!) and two of the 6000 grit sharpening stones. My shipping address is just outside of Toronto, Canada.

If you cannot assist, can you suggest someone who can?

John

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: Is the Shun Fillet knife the best?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:48 pm 
Site Admin

Hi John,

See if you can locate a model number for me and I'll tell you if we have it or if we can get it.

Fillet knives do a wide variety of tasks and different people use different knives based on what they're doing. Filleting an 800 pound tuna is different of course than a 6 oz crappie.

Tell me what you would do with the knife specifically and I'll try and give you some good suggestions. There are a wide range of knives used to fillet fish. Japanese pros often use debas but not always. Shun has a few different fillet knives and we carry several of them. I like them but I wouldn't call them the best knife on the market.

Chefknivestogo Blog

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ]