It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 3:30 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: iPhone iTunes popping up
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:28 pm 

This is driving me nuts. I read forum on my iPhone when I have a free minute at work.

In the last 5 min while reading this forum and posting this.. iTunes has popped open 4 times for some dating app. This only happens on this forum. I do not use any other forums, do not use dating sites, or download junk apps on my phone.

How can I stop this?

iPhone 5.

El

Post subject: Re: iPhone iTunes popping up
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:06 pm 

Its probably one of the ads.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:35 pm 

Yes. It happens for a specific banner add on the forum.

The add is called "sway. The easy way to meet people". Sway is a dating app

It has forced me into the App Store at least 25 times today.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:49 pm 

emaduro wrote:

How can I stop this?

iPhone 5.

El

According to a post in https://discussions.apple.com/thread/56 ... 5&tstart=0

Just disable the App Store via Settings > General > Restrictions. You'll still have access your current apps however, to get back onto the App Store, you'll need to enable App Store again.

More of a kludge than a fix. Otherwise, you will just have to wait on Apple to come out with a proper solution. But Apple does not seem to be in a hurry to fix the problem.

See http://techcrunch.com/2014/01/06/shady- ... ogle-play/ for more info on the problem.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:38 pm 

is there an app for this forum or do you just view in on your web viewer?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:40 pm 

Same thing happening here. Really agitating.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:17 am 

I don't have a 'Disable App Store' slider. I do have 'Installing Apps' and 'Deleting Apps' sliders within Restrictions. Does sliding 'Installing Apps' to off do the trick?

Otherwise I perform Settings>Safari>JavaScript>Off prior to visiting the forum. It works but goons up other functionality, so I need to turn it back on when done with the forum.

I know that Mark and Susan aren't up until the wee hours developing malicious code. :twisted: But they need to pay attention to what's going on here. Stuff like this can turn even the most steadfast customers and contributors away. And 60% of web traffic is via mobile devices these days and that statistic is likely larger with those in the hospitality industry.

If someone comes here off a Google search and then gets inundated by redirects do you think (s)he's going to stick around for the witty repartee? I love this forum and I'm turned off.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:06 pm 

Tall Dark and Swarfy wrote:

I know that Mark and Susan aren't up until the wee hours developing malicious code. :twisted: But they need to pay attention to what's going on here. Stuff like this can turn even the most steadfast customers and contributors away. And 60% of web traffic is via mobile devices these days and that statistic is likely larger with those in the hospitality industry.

If someone comes here off a Google search and then gets inundated by redirects do you think (s)he's going to stick around for the witty repartee? I love this forum and I'm turned off.

I don't know what control Mark has over what ads are displayed. I suspect he has none.

If so, based on the URLs I posted above, Mark can't do anything about the problem. Only Apple can solve the problem.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:09 pm 

Thanks for the responses.

It is unfortunate but I suspect I will have to live with it. I suspect it is completely out of Mark's control. His only solution would be to change the backend of the forum and pay big bucks to get an add free forum, which is unrealistic for me to expect. That is a total guess on my part.

The good news, only one redirect to app store today. I did not see the "dating" add. Saw a lot of Bridgestone tire adds and they did not redirect. Maybe next time I buy tires I get bridgestones.

El

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:18 pm 

I had the same issue for a while, but today I was getting an ad for a local bowling alley instead of the dating site! A major victory in my mobile browsing!

Page 1 of 2 [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next