It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 6:40 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Intro Lvl Knives
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:49 am 

I was wondering, and you can take this idea and do whatever with it, it has probably been said before......

Why not send out some Tojiro DP, Fujiwara, Artifex, etc to the forum, let them use them for a week or two solid, ship them on to the next guy on the list. Like the pass around but with the low budget stuff. The members make a posting on that blog, or a locked forum post in knife recommends and leave it there as a reference for new members who always have that same first question, "What knife do I start with on a budget?"

Settle once and for all the "best value" of them. It will give many different views between home and professional users and perhaps even a consensus or at least and interesting debate, given the many variable factors between users. I'm sure most of us have used one of the entry levels at some point, but who has actually handled all of them before moving on? I sure haven't. It would be nice to see what I missed and maybe help someone at the same time, without having to buy a knife that may not stand up to my current kit.

Post subject: Re: Intro Lvl Knives
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:56 pm 

Great idea Dan. Being new to J knives I welcome any opportunity to experience the subtle and sometimes not so subtle differences between makers.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:35 pm 

Although I probably can't participate due to being outside the US, I think this is a pretty brilliant idea.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:45 pm 

It is an interesting idea Dan. I have all three and besides price and relatively high quality, they are not interchangeable. I do have a few thoughts though on the practicability of the proposal.

1) Many forum members have used one or more of these so there is actually a lot of feedback already. For example, it is pretty commonly agreed that Artifexs are thick in the shoulder and need thinning but are the best steel, Tojiros are probably the best all rounder for fit and finish, steel, and grind, and the Fujiwara is a thinner and lighter alternative to the Tojiro line.

2) This is actually the killer, the market is more spoiled for choice than it used to be. When I bought my first J-knife, Tojiro, Fujiwara, and Richmond were the only game in town. Only some Mac stuff was proffered to me as an alternative. In the last 6 months to a year the ~$100 price point has really opened up. The Richmond line has expanded to include the Artifex SAB, the Kohetsu Blue #2 has been introduced and is probably the ringer for the price point right now, Kaneshige offers a entry level wa handled stainless gyuto, the Goko damascus/hammered has fit the bill for a few months now, add to that the litany of inexpensive kurouchi knives with hitachi steel cores and those three are not the only ones that need consideration.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:21 pm 

cedarhouse wrote:It is an interesting idea Dan. I have all three and besides price and relatively high quality, they are not interchangeable. I do have a few thoughts though on the practicability of the proposal.

1) Many forum members have used one or more of these so there is actually a lot of feedback already. For example, it is pretty commonly agreed that Artifexs are thick in the shoulder and need thinning but are the best steel, Tojiros are probably the best all rounder for fit and finish, steel, and grind, and the Fujiwara is a thinner and lighter alternative to the Tojiro line.

2) This is actually the killer, the market is more spoiled for choice than it used to be. When I bought my first J-knife, Tojiro, Fujiwara, and Richmond were the only game in town. Only some Mac stuff was proffered to me as an alternative. In the last 6 months to a year the ~$100 price point has really opened up. The Richmond line has expanded to include the Artifex SAB, the Kohetsu Blue #2 has been introduced and is probably the ringer for the price point right now, Kaneshige offers a entry level wa handled stainless gyuto, the Goko damascus/hammered has fit the bill for a few months now, add to that the litany of inexpensive kurouchi knives with hitachi steel cores and those three are not the only ones that need consideration.

True points. I just think we should consolidate and focus on the "big three" if you will. Unless questioners ask very specifically, usually the get sent over to Tojiro or Richmond. Not that the Goko in W#1 is not miles better than them. The steel in the "intro" lines is more user and accident friendly. The damascus also suffers from its thinness in some ways. We have to assume knife skills in that recommendation. I enjoy answering questions on the forum, but the 200 threads asking for a beginner suggestions have piled up to the ceiling. Lets see where this can take us. Maybe we can use this thread as our forum to provide the commentary on those knives that everyone gets recommended, put it all in one EASY to search place.

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]