It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:59 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Interview question for chef types
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:49 am 

How much do you care about appearance when someone comes in for an interview or to drop/ask for an application?

I get people that come in wearing an old t shirt and jeans. I barely want to give them the time of day let alone a job or application. If they come back to an interview (glowing references, decent job history, etc)and are wearing something presentable it will bode better for me and them sometimes.

I know some people in my kitchen don't own a suit and barely own a colored shirt and I know the end result on the cook line is what it all comes down to but what is your opinion on these things?

Clean board, clean head, clean uniform great employee right?

Post subject: Re: Interview question for chef types
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:55 am 
Forum Moderator

PANKO <> Not so much. Here are my quick thoughts:

I eagle eye nails & teeth. Speech: diction, confidence/lack thereof, voice command. Unkempt clothing is unacceptable, but a suit is a joke... I don't think I'd be able to stop laughing at him. Good people fall on hard times, & high dollar yarn means shit to me. You can recognize an effort when one wants to look there best... whatever that might be. Clothes are not that telling; they're often more of a facade. Wear a Chef's jacket to your interview; I doubt I'd even give you one.

When you move past application, and ostensibly, are referencing an employee, "clean board..." That's different. A clean workstation is paramount. Weeds are weeds, but a slob is unacceptable. If there is an effort to improve, good employee. If there is indifference, it's a flat line employee. "Clean head"... don't know what you mean. Clean shaven? I don't expect clean shaven everyday, but when you have some growth, clean up the corners at least... it's like wiping a plate. "Clean uniform"... it shouldn't be a rag, and it should start clean every shift. That said, the cleanest station with the cleanest uniform means jack if they can't hang.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:20 am 

I hear you on a lot of that.

The clean board clean head meant if you put enough effort to keep your board clean you have the thought process down for good movements and habits. You can be a bit more organized. Kind of like keeping your coat clean by minding how you're carrying a dirty pot/bowl etc.

But yes you are right, there is a lot more to a person than how they look but if you can't clean up a smidge to fill out an app you're shooting yourself in the foot right away at that place, assuming your app doesn't go to the bottom of the app folder.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:57 pm 

You don't have wear a suit, but you have to hold / present yourself well and I usually look at their shoes to see how they're maintained.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:02 pm 

The best cutting edge is a little rough upon close inspection. I've worked with too many people thatll spend god knows how long on how they look and only five minutes to clean their station. Im not saying hire a bum, but I think its less of what they wear but how they wear it. I can tell more by a handshake than I can with the absense of stubble. Remember, the patina only looks dirty.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:19 pm 

It must be like when applying for any job. You should look representable, if not. well then you won't get it. Why should it be any different for chefs?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:24 am 

I don't care if they are hottest saute or grill guy/girl out there, if they aren't neat in appearance and semi-professional when they show up it is pretty much over, more so for FOH. Hair maintained, nails maintained are important, you knew you had an interview so act like you care. Chef jacket is acceptable for me if I asked you to come and prepare some dishes. In that respect, know the menu and style of cuisine. I don't want a burrito if the menu is classical french.

Station has to be pretty much impeccable, we have a small kitchen so the "weeds" can grow fast if people don't trim up their mess.

People that can't hang on the line rarely need firing, they get ball busted so bad by the others they quit. Or they work their ass off and get better.

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ]